Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ya'll head shoot or shoulder shoot? I only head shoot. I was taught that way as a kid. We didn't have running water at the camp to wash up a bloody mess so I was taught not to make one. It also elimanates having to track wounded animals. They are either laying right there or still walking with no holes in them.

I can honestly say that i haven't missed a head shot since I was a kid. Take your time and make a good shot it ain't that hard.

What do ya'll think? Head or Shoulder?

Happy Hunting!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you can make a good head shot every time, or have the discipline not to take a shot that you are not confident with. You aren't doing anything wrong. I however have seen deer with bullet holes in their cheeks, ears and even their rack. In a good head shot, the brain is the actual target, and a whitetails brain is about the size of a baseball. The vital organs are simply a larger target and if we were talking about bow hunting they are the only target.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I can tell from the tone of your post that you are not doing anything but posting a question and telling your experiences. That said, the general opinion I would have if someone told me they took head shots would be negative. In your case it is obviously not so, but I think it would be a very bad habit for the average shot to get into. I use shoulder shots in the open out to about 100 yards (maybe 150 off a rest or shooting rail). Further than that, or in cover or a quick shot opportunity I am middle of mass behind the front leg only. IMO.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Head shots are irresponsible. Way too many things can go wrong, I don't care how good you are. I have made one and witnessed two other "good" head shots and it did not kill the deer within an acceptable amount of time.

Shoot them in the neck, still won't mess up any meat and they are dead right there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.