HEA Deer Permits

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dspeakes, Aug 5, 2017.

1. dspeakes

dspeakes Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W

Got emails saying I was successful for the muzzleloader and modern gun hunts at Harold Alexander WMA.

Triple Threat and brushcreek like this.
  2. bayman1975

bayman1975 Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

Glad to hear it. I was not successful. I've always enjoyed hunting HEA. I can tell you a spot where they were seeing a lot of nice bucks last year, if you're interested.

3. dspeakes

I would appreciate it. I have not hunted there in years. I applied this year because I have a house now at Cherokee and it is close.

4. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I struck out this year too

5. bayman1975

bayman1975 Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

dspeakes, send me your email address, and I'll send you a map of the area we were in, and where the people I spoke with were seeing several different bucks, and killed a couple.

dspeakes likes this.
  6. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

I got one too. Honestly I didn't think I would get one with out the points system or being able to snag a leftover. It may be ten years before I draw again but for now I'm happy.

brushcreek and bayman1975 like this.
  7. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

10 years is probably about the high side of average for Howard E....
    I live only 5 miles away and I've drawn 3 tags out of 21 attempts.
    In seven years I got one Turkey, one MG, and one MZ.....
    I didn't even bother this year.
    I haven't renewed my license yet... don't even think I'll bother. I'm about done with it all.....

8. hawgwild04

hawgwild04 New Member

I drew one also for muzzleloader by mistake I know nothing about the area.I got that one confused with another I wanted to try.

9. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

I hope you get a nice one. I really miss hunting there.

10. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

Why is this place so popular? I've thought about bow hunting it before but haven't made the trip yet

11. dspeakes

It used to be a good place to kill a nice buck. When I bow hunted it, there would only be a couple of people hunting the entire south end of the WMA. Now I hear it is covered in hogs and people. I am not sure it is the place it used to be. However, it is close to my house so I applied for permits.

12. frogleg

Because there isn't much public land in NEA and this is the closest one in the hills.

Triple Threat likes this.
  13. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

I gotcha. I hunt the delta but I've always wanted to hunt the mountains just to try something different

14. Arki

Arki Well-Known Member

Just checked mine online and looks like I was successful in the modern gun hunt. I have never been on it but look forward to doing some looking around.

brushcreek likes this.
  15. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Well-Known Member

My party drew MZ but not MG. Only 200 permits this year. I believe that is less then it has been in the past few years. May be wrong tho

16. Saltydog

Do they still make you check in before your hunt and surrender your license?
    Only place I have ever hunted that made you do that.... kind of a pain in the butt....

17. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes.
    gulf mountain did too last time I was there. I thought they all did.

18. Saltydog

Didn't realise that.... HEA is the only wma that I have ever drawn for a deer permit hunt.
    Still a pia, but I guess it is commonplace...

brushcreek likes this.
  19. frogleg

I wonder how that is going to work with so many having license on their phone? They gonna take your phone? :confused:

20. broken8183

broken8183 Well-Known Member

I got drawn for a hunt I did not even apply for