Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shot an arrow that didn't have a field tip or broadhead on it. I was shooting with my father in law today and I took two of my field tips off and let him shoot with them. Then we went out and did a little scouting. We came back a couple of hours later and I decided to shoot a little more. I shot the first arrow and it hit 3 inches high at 20 yards. I thought I was on but figured i must have just been off a little. The second arrow was right in the center ring. I nocked my 3rd arrow and noticed it didn't have a field point and thats when I remembered giving Buck two field points earlier. I put a point on the
3rd arrow and shot it. When I pulled my arrows they were all buried the same depth in the target but the first one didn't have a field point. I was wonderering if anyone else has ever done this. I would have thought that the arrow would have flown funny or atleast not penetrated the target. Instead it flew perfectly and penetrated the target. It was just a little high.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It hit high because it was lighter. It was flying faster. If it did not wobble in the air, your bow is in tune. Thats good. It penetrated as deep because of the increased speed. You should shoot ATLEAST 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. If your arrow is lighter, you are basicly dry-fireing your bow. If you shoot 70lbs. your arrow should weigh 350 grains. I would not suggest shooting without a tip. I have done that with my tournament bow. I pulled my arrow out of one of my Mckenzie targets. I did not notice the nib (a glue in tournament tip) wasn't in the arrow. When I shot again, I noticed that the bow was louder. The arrow hit high. When I looked at the arrow I noticed the tip. Glad that did not happen to me at a national tournament.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assure you that I wasn't trying to shoot without a tip. It was just a mistake but the arrow flew much better than I thought it would have. I know my bow is tuned well but I still thought the arrow would have flown a little different other that the higher impact. The best I remember my arrows weigh about 335 grains without a point in them. My bow is pulling about 72 lbs. I was just wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was pretty sure you did not mean to shoot with out the tip. I out that in there because there are some goofy people out there that would try that if they thought it would work. Im sure you know some people like that. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Happened to me last week. I shot the first three arrows with field tips into the target. Removed them back up and did it again. Only this time my second arrow hit dead on but 2 inches high. When I went back up to the target I saw an insert and field point stuck in it. I thought that was odd, then I pulled out my arrows and the one that flew high had no insert or tip on it. I wouldn't try it everytime like that but it did suprise me.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Happened to me last week. I shot the first three arrows with field tips into the target. Removed them back up and did it again. Only this time my second arrow hit dead on but 2 inches high. When I went back up to the target I saw an insert and field point stuck in it. I thought that was odd, then I pulled out my arrows and the one that flew high had no insert or tip on it. I wouldn't try it everytime like that but it did suprise me.

I have noticed with field tips that they will loosen up during target shooting so I have got into the habit when I pull my arrows from the target I automatically check the tip. 50% of the time I find they ahve lossened up. Maybe this advise will help in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.