Have you ever fasted?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by cables, Dec 17, 2010.

1. cables

cables Well-Known Member

In our bible class the other day we were covering fasting in the bible and I got wondering how many still partakes in this act.

2. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

I knew several Catholics that still do it. I was raised Baptist and while living in Jonesboro me and a room mate fasted sweets. We didn't cut out all sugars but we didn't eat candies or soda's or anything of that nature. I only did it for 30 days and he made it a little longer.

3. My wife says I do in my sleep.

4. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I have up to 3 days, water only.

My prayers were answered.

5. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

Yes, and it is not a big deal if you keep hydrated. A lot of Catholics will fast during Lent. I dont fast, I abstain from something that I really like and may be indulgent rather than a necessity.

6. I'm not Catholic and I fast sometimes. The longest I've gone is/was 3 days of nothing but liquids. I worked at a restaurant at the time and it was tough.

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

I fast 2 or three times a year for 3 to 6 days at a time. It is good for your digestive system to give it a break once in awhile.

8. cables

cables Well-Known Member

well the topic in class was that we (church of chirst) does not practice this, and we where asking why and if it is something we should, especially in times of major trouble where prays need to be stronger. What I mean is that it gives examples where in times of dire need or times of deep prayer where fasting in mentioned. So we asked should we fast in times we need our prayers or faith needs to be stronger?

What do you think?

9. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I think the fasting can be spiritual and aid in the function of prayer. We are reminded with every hunger pain why we are fasting and remain in a state of fervent prayer. We are also reminded that God provides all for us even when we think we are doing it. I don't think it's something that should be taken lightly.

10. SARAH

SARAH Well-Known Member

I have before but never totally gave up food usually just something I really liked like Diet Dew. May try it after the first of the year just for the health benefits clean my system.

11. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

Definately.

Fasting with purpose is 100% biblical and many followers of Christ throughout the bible did it. Fasting is about self discipline, sacrifice, and desperateness. I think fasting to fast is practically pointless, you must be led by the spirit and fast according to the desires of Gods heart. Whether it be seeking a closer relationship with God, seeking a word from God to give to others, ect.

The american dream and self indulgence ruins us, be humbled, be selfless, and start living the life God made you for. Fasting is a good start! strip away the flesh.

God owes us nothing! we owe him everything for providing a way. Hope this encourages you.

12. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Me and my wife fasted television for Lent last year...we are cutting off TV and Internet completely December 27th. Tired of the junk, tired of being broke and tired of ignoring my wife and/or kids for tv or computer. It's strictly a personal decision and I don't judge anyone so don'e misunderstand my post...I'll still have internet at work so it wont be too bad.

13. leserz

leserz Well-Known Member

a few times when i was flat broke

14. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    only after a BAD hangover, sometimes it takes me a day to recover :biggrin:

15. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

I used to fast regularly. Usually for a day. A few times I fasted for a couple of days. Once I led a bunch of teens from church on a week-end fast. That one was more about world hunger awareness and our dependence on God. I haven't fasted since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I should ask my doctor about that. It was kind of scary for me the first time I intentionally fasted. I was really counting the minutes! :eek: I think I was afraid I was going to die or something. :biggrin: For me it was good to remind me that food was not my god but God is God!