Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a whisker bisquit ever since I started shooting. I am wanting to start shooting at the local archery range and I was talking to some of the guys, and they said with a drop away you will get a little bit extra accuracy. How is the transition from a WB to a drop away? Which would be a good one for a newbie drop away shooter?
f909

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
I came real close to buying a drop-away yesterday at Bass Pro, but didn't.

I don't know which one to get, but I want one of the cheaper ones...

I also currently shoot a WB, but I figure going to the drop away will give me a bit more accuracy and maybe a few more fps.

Lemme know what you find out...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hey Fro, are you having accuracy issues now, with the W.B. ??

I have found my shooting with the W.B. to be pretty darn consistant. I know everyone has personal preferences, but if you are not having issues, why change? If you are having issues, it could be the set up.

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to shoot a New PSE X-force SS. It is the 28" ATA Model. It was equipped for hunting, and the rest was a W.B. A guy with PSE who is on the Prostaff was in El Dorado, and he had several set up. I shot it and was getting 1 inch groups with the first set of arrows. It was shooting to 330+ , and they are rated IBO at 350. It was also the quietest bow I have ever shot. When the arrow left, it hit before I could track it.

Anyway, like I was saying, I was shooting 1 inch groups my first time with it, equipped with a W.B. I have one on my Firestorm Lite, and I really like it.

Anyhow, Just thought I would ask why, and tell you about my experience.

God Bless

Michael

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have shot good group with broadheads out to 60 yrds useing a WB but I did switch to a drop away for hunting. After trying several I found the RIPCORD to be the best for me. I still shoot a spring steel launcher for target shooting.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,311 Posts
Drop aways are no more "accurate" than other rest. They do how ever shoot better if your form is less than perfect ( I need the help), They give complete fletching clearence, shoot better if arrow spine is not perfect, etc.

So in hunting situations I need all the help I can get because at the moment of truth............I know that my form breaks down.

So for me it is percieved that it is more accurate, because If I punch or torque the drop away masked alot of it and the shot is not as bad as it would have been with a fixed rest.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Believe it or not I am still using the TM rest. I thought about the drop away rest but I have two bows so when I make a change on one I have to make a change on the other. So in short I just did not want to spend the money.
Having said that the buddies that use the drop aways swear by them and love them.
I had a whisker bisquit one time I do not like them and they will never be on another bow I own.:whistle:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made the switch on Saturday.

Friday night I picked up a RipCord. Took me about 20 minutes to install it. With a T-Square I had it lined up in just a few minutes, too.

Shot probably 75 arrows through it Saturday. It took probably 12 arrows to get the sight pins adjusted properly again and then I was off to the races.

Overall, I am very happy I made the switch. I used to get a few corkscrews or fishtails from the biscuit (probably due to my form and follow-through). With the RC, I had none of that. My groups improved significantly from 20 and 30 yards. Haven't shot past that yet, but I plan to soon.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of fletchings are you using? I currently shoot Blazers. I bought 500 Quickspins last year before doing any research on them and that they arent good with whisker bisquits. We have our annual backyard archery-rifle-pistol-grill out-and then drinking-shoot this weekend. I am gonna try one next week. I like the Ripcord, and the Ultra Rest.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
I went from WB to the QAD Ultra Rest Ld
Im thinking about doing the same thing. I had a Ripcord and liked it fine except that I had trouble with it when I didnt shoot and tried to let the bow down. Ive heard the Ultra Rest stays up when you let down.

I like the WB and my groups are plenty good enough to kill a deer but it seems like a bowhunter always has to mess with something and see how it works. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Im thinking about doing the same thing. I had a Ripcord and liked it fine except that I had trouble with it when I didnt shoot and tried to let the bow down. Ive heard the Ultra Rest stays up when you let down.

I like the WB and my groups are plenty good enough to kill a deer but it seems like a bowhunter always has to mess with something and see how it works. :rolleyes:
Same here. I always seem to be messing with something, be it arrows, fletchings, rests... you name it. I have the WB on both my Ross and my Pearson Anaconda but have been thinking of trying a drop away of some sort on my Ross.
If they were a little cheaper or I spent more time shooting my bow then it would be easier to talk myself into.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was a long term user of the Whisker Biscuit and switched to a Ripcord last year when I bought a new Firestorm X.

Can't say there is any difference in accuracy.....if your bow is tuned properly and your form is good there shouldn't be a problem with accuracy to begin with.

I personally have come to like the drop away better now. Why? I don't really know. Maybe cuz it looks cool. :wink:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Never saw a reason to leave the wisker biscuit. I fletch my own shafts and have never had problems with the biscuit deforming or tearing them. Accuracy has never been a problem.

I think the lyrics to the song go, "so if you don't rate...just over-compensate". I think sight and rest makers would go out of business if they had to depend on me to: "do that brand new thing". I just usually find something that works and stick with it.

I went from shelf to a TM hunter to a wisker biscuit. Not many changes since the 70's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.