Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Approx 80% of the WMA's in this report reflect a harvest of more bucks than does. Most of them by a substantial amount. I don't think that's the target harvest ratio. Action?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Approx 80% of the WMA's in this report reflect a harvest of more bucks than does. Most of them by a substantial amount. I don't think that's the target harvest ratio. Action?
In zone 12 we need a "doe before each buck" rule. Our club passed this rule at our February meeting. That's the only way we can get some of the older geezers to kill a doe. :up:

.270Win

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
It's more of a problem than just WMA's. Just about every zone killed more bucks than doe's. :smack:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Some WMA/Natl'Forest highlights -
Winona WMA 5.73 bucks harvested to every doe. Was there not a doe qouta permit issued for Winona?
Bald Knob WMA - 6.82 bucks to every doe
Muddy Creek WMA - 7.50 bucks to every doe
Ozark National Forest - 6.48 bucks to every doe

Is it possible they reversed the numbers?

Just for kicks - In Iowa they harvested approx 23,000 more does than bucks, granted it's a one buck limit.

·
Registered
480 Posts
here are all the ratios - both bucks to doe & doe to buck....however you would prefer to look at it.

please note, that "unkown" is not factored into the number. as well, buttons are added to antlered.

just for clarification....for example on the grand total line. this says 1.82 bucks were killed for every doe. likewise, .55 doe were killed to every buck.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
How do you get so many unknown sex and unknown methods??? Am I missing something b/c it seems like I have to check it on every deer I've ever checked... There were more deer killed by unknown methods than with a crossbow, that is crazy!:smack:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Once again to prove the point that the AGFC does a crappy job at managing the WMA's:

There are 3.2 million acres of land in WMA's (yes some of those are small landlock spots). On 3.2 million acres of land there were only 6,489 deer killed.

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
Tough crowd...
Here's my problem with trying to make the harvest ratio more even, especially on WMAs and especially in the hillier, less fertile parts of the state. The way that you would have to even up that harvest would not be by increasing the doe harvest component. It would be by reducing the buck harvest, and the way that would happen would be by reducing hunter opportunity.
A big part of this state's public land lays in National Forest, and most of that area is wide open to hunting. Therefore it's mostly buck-only hunting. I know that this makes all of the QDM purist shriek and point fingers, but I like the idea of having some public land in the state where I dont have to draw a permit or jump through any other hoops to go hunt.

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
This was on *************.com. A little more insight.

Deer harvest up last season

Commissioners from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission were briefed today on the state’s recent deer season harvest. Brad Miller, new AGFC deer program coordinator, told the Commission the harvest was up almost 4,200 deer from the 2006-07 season.

The northwest part of the state saw the greatest harvest increase from the previous year, Miller explained. “I think that can be attributed to the Easter freeze of 2007.” Zone 3 in north central Arkansas had the greatest increase in harvest with a 41 percent increase in deer taken as compared to the previous season. Deer harvest numbers also were up along the Mississippi River in extreme eastern Arkansas.

Last year’s late April freezing temperatures damaged vegetation across much of Arkansas. Trees and shrubs began to produce tender leaves early because of record high temperatures, which were followed by the freeze. Miller said that the hard mast production, such as acorns was reduced due to the Easter freeze. “Limited mast production often increases hunting success,” he said.

Deer harvest numbers stayed essentially the same in the southwestern corner of the state. Harvest numbers were down in the northeast and southeast portions of the state. Zone 16A had the largest drop in harvest with a 39 percent decrease.

Miller also briefed the Commission on deer depredation issues to farmers in Chicot County. Deer near the Mississippi River were displaced by the April floods and were destroying crops in surrounding agricultural lands. “We received some complaints, primarily in fields near the Mississippi River Levee in Chicot County. We worked with the media, hunting clubs and landowners to address the problem,” he said.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.