Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk

I use the iron sights and have taken 2 does with it. 1 at 30 yards and the other at 50 yards. This is the story I wrote about it on another web site.

Deer #1 the shot was a sharp quarting shot towards me. I hit her in the last rib and the slug exited through the oppisite ham. The femur was shattered. I hit the back of 1 lung then liver, then gut then ham. It was almost to far back. It was my first deer with a pistol and I was a bit nervous. Not like shooting them with a rifle. Distance was right at 30 yards. The exit hole was about the size of a quarter. The exit and entry looked like a .50 muzzle loader wound to me. She didn't bleed a drop for 70 yards and then the blood trail was sparce. I ended up finding her by walking a grid pattern. I think the marginal hit was more of a factor than anything else. when I hit her she stumbled a little bit before she took off running.

deer #2 55 yards. First shot was broadside. Bullet went in right shoulder and exited low brisket area. She flinced and faced me. Shot 2 was dead center in the chest and exited breast bone area. She then turned broadside to the left. 3rd shot was through left shoulder and smashed the heart if the facing chest shot didn't get it first. After 3rd shot she went down and was dead before I got out of the stand. Entry and exit holes were consistant with deer #1.

Both deer were shot from a treestand about 14 feet off the ground. Both deer flinched after each shot but they didn't get knoced down like I exspected. Deer #1 was the biggest doe I have ever shot. Over a hundred easy. Deer #2 was about 80 pounds.

I never recovered a slug. All shots went clean through. My ruger is a super black hawk w/ 7.5" barrel. Load is 240gr speer jhp. Powder is WW296 @22.0 gr. Speed is 1344 fps.

I really enjoy hunting with the pistol. I feel like it is way more of a challenge than my rifle. With the pistol my heart starts pounding like it did in the old days.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Man....you guys are killing me. I am wanting a Taurus .41 rem. mag. so bad i can't stand it and this just makes me want it worse. I have had my eye on it for a while now. I may have to break down.

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
Man....you guys are killing me. I am wanting a Taurus .41 rem. mag. so bad i can't stand it and this just makes me want it worse. I have had my eye on it for a while now. I may have to break down.
I have a 5.5" Stainless Ruger Redhawk 41 Mag that I picked up in the last few months. I really like the 41 Mag, I had a Blackhawk 41 Mag that I traded several years ago and wished I had never gotten rid of it. I'm going to hunt with it this year. I load a 210 grain Rem JSP over a healthy load of Win 296.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I did some research on the .41 mag. and it seems to fit what i want it for. Shooting pigs and whitetail. I have looked at most of the standard calibers for hunting with and as far as recoil and ballistics i think this would be the perfect gun for me. I have a Taurus .22 magnum in a 6-1/2" barrel and absolutely love it which is why i decided on Taurus. I am a little unsure about the barrel length yet though. I looked at the heavy frame 8" barrel but that dude is a liittle heavy and awkward so i am sure i will go with the 6-1/2" barrel. Just need the money and the wife's o.k. now.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sweet!!! How does she shoot?
Suprisingly well ..... I say suprisingly because I thought the recoil would be horrendous, but it really isn't bad. Actually, my wife, 5'1" and 130 lbs. shoots it and likes it. She would shoot me out of 100 rounds in a matter of minutes if I let her. But it is accurate, and will bury anything I need it to. The scope in the background is a new Nikon 2.5-8 x 28 that I also mounted on it to check out, but I liked the 3-12X more. I don't have to turn it up if I don't want to, but if I want to I have the ability to.... but I am condifent with it to about 150 yards, and it has the power to cleanly kill that far.

MET

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I've got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag with a 2X28 Weaver scope mounted on it and Hogue rubber grips. I hunted with it a couple of times last year. I had a doe walk within 10 steps of me, but I had already used my doe tag. :smack: I plan on hunting exclusively with it this year.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Ruger BH in .45Colt... Ruger SRH in .44MAG and S&W 610 10mm. Ainl;t got a deer with them yet, but this year is the year!!! I never even got to go last season with either of them.

I also shoot my Ruger 22/45 for tree rats and rabbits.

·
Premium Member
18,017 Posts
Ruger BH in .45 Colt. I've killed one small 8pt. with it. Went about 30 yds. after being hit.

I love taking the Ruger MKII Competition model .22 out after the tree rats. Topped with a red dot it is some kind of fun.

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
I love taking the Ruger MKII Competition model .22 out after the tree rats. Topped with a red dot it is some kind of fun.
I have a couple of the Ruger MKII's with the 5.5" heavy barrel. I have been seriously considering putting a red dot on one of them and trying squirrels with it. Even with iron sights they are super accurate. I can only imagine what it would do with an optic on it, especially with my eyes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.