Hammock Camping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recreation' started by Buckhunter99, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    How many of you have gone hammock camping? My buddy took me for the first time the other week. It was a great time other than the fact that I failed to pack the hammock in my pack!! So I had to sleep on the ground lol. He did allow me to test his out and i ended up buying one of my own. We went to Red River Gorge in Kentucky. We hiked in about 3 miles and set up camp for the night and the next day we hiked another 7 miles. It sucked hiking up and down the mountain but at the same time it was a blast. I have always wanted to go camping where the only things that you have are what you hiked in on your back. The heaviest part of it was the water but I bought a water purification system and want to try and get water from the streams the next time.

ozarkhunter and TJKRide like this.
  2. TJKRide

TJKRide Well-Known Member

AshDown
    It is a good time. I have the Enos Double Nest or double eagle. Its a 2 person packable hammock. First time we used it was up in the mountain near Abrams Falls in TN. Hang her up with 550 cord and camp is up. My son did 11 miles up and down them mountains at 3 years old that weekend. I miss trips like those.

Mr. Rusty likes this.

3. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Test drove our hammocks this spring and slept out in the yard with the kids. I slept great! I got a little cool. When it's cold you have to be extra sure to get some extra insulation under you.

JB Weld and TJKRide like this.
  4. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Conway
    We used the cheap folding windshield sunscreens. Folds up small, super lightweight, gives some padding, and the aluminum exterior reflects your body heat back to you. Worked great.
    [​IMG]

5. TJKRide

AshDown
    That's an awesome idea.

6. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    Some homeless dude is gonna read this thread and just have to shake his head...

7. rphill

rphill Well-Known Member

8. rphill

rphill Well-Known Member

I use mine when I get a bag of ice. Wrap the ice or cold things from the grocery store in it. The ice melts very little.

Hobbshunter likes this.
  9. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Genius!

10. Buckhunter99

Indiana
    I bought one of the underquilts that I believes goes down to 15 degreeS. I thought about buying a mummy bag for it but figured if its that cold I don't need to be out there lol. I also got the bug net to go with it. I plan to just use one of the sleeping bags that I have from the Marines as my top quilt. I got mine from OUTDOOR VITALS. It is ultra light and they provided a 20% discount since I am a veteran. I definitely wasn't expecting that but my buddy told me to contact them because he thought they had one when he go his.

https://outdoorvitals.com/

11. Buckhunter99

Indiana
    What kind of pack are you using?

12. TJKRide

AshDown
    Dont laugh at me, but for 2 to 3 day trips like that one I carry a Cheap S.O.C back pack. Hammock, change of clothes, camel bac, normal camp fixins, is all that goes in.