gut shot lethal?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dudeman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dudeman

dudeman Well-Known Member

Buddy shot a deer at dark last night. He shot it twice so he thought but anyways when he shot it stumbled around but slipped off in the woods. We found a couple big piles of blood where he shot it but that was it so we decided to go back today at lunch. Well we walked everywhere and right when we was ready to give up we found a tiny amount of blood and then the deer was just a couple hundred yrds from where he shot it. We thought it was dead cause we had walked all around him but he jumped up and slowly ran off. We tracked tiny amounts of thick meaty blood and also a piece of bone for atleast 500 yrds and just ran out to nothing but there never was much. Any advice? The deer must be really hurt because he didn't go anywhere for 16 hrs till we jumped him

2. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Doubt he hit guts if still alive 16 hrs later. More likely hit a leg. Did you see any stomach contents? Know anyone with a tracking dog?

3. dudeman

No stomach contents just thick meaty blood. I would agree on the leg but he said his first shot he hit it and it kinda made a circle and started to stumble like it was fixing to do a death roll but it didn't fall so he shot it again. He said he prob could had put a third on in him but he thought it was enough to finish the job well Wrong!! He was shooting a 308 with the basic led tip bullets . I personally believe he only hit it once or it wouldn't been still alive

4. Swampboss

Swampboss Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like a leg hit to me too . but an outside chance it was hit in the jaw ? I would look in the nearest water source

5. eddie.sandefur

eddie.sandefur Active Member

The thick blood is probly blood that is starting to clot in an open wound. So it most likely wasnt a lethal hit. Especially with a 308. Thats what i hunt with and it does a lot of damage. Not knocking ur friends ability but shot placement is key. U may never find that deer and it die just to be a waste or coyote food.

6. dudeman

Oh believe me I was knocking his shot too. His brother shoulder shot one last yr with the same gun and same thing next day we jumped it up but the blood looked different then todays blood so that's why I thought more guts but it makes sense with what ya ll are saying because there was bone that we found

7. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Gut shot doesn't produce bone. Sounds like a superficial flesh wound, probably in a leg. Get a dog, be prepared to shoot when the deer gets up.

8. dudeman

Ya only problem with that idea is we tracked him off private to public. So had to back off. Just a screwed up deal

9. jed11181

jed11181 Well-Known Member

Tell him he needs a bigger gun! Get a 50 cal!!

10. dudeman

Well if he'd shoot a ballistic bullet I think that would killed it on spot. I've had good look with them with my 7 mag no matter where I hit them but I do know it happens to the best of us

11. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    No caliber or bullet will reliably kill if you shoot them in the leg/jaw/other non vital area. You might get lucky and put them down, but I wouldn't count on it. I've tracked to many deer wounded by 300 mags, 7mm ultra mags, or other guns with all types of bullets to believe that any bullet type or caliber will make up for poor shot placement. Ballistic tips work great within they hit the vitals, but in this case I guarantee a different bullet would not have made a difference. I do shoot ballistic tips in my 25-06 and 7mm-08 because they are most accurate in those guns, but they don't kill any better than corelokts or Winchester power points.

12. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

A shot through the stomach is lethal. The problem is the deer goes out of sight and lays down. It takes a while to die. If you go looking for it to soon it gets up and takes off not bleeding much and is hard to find. Gut shot deer need to be left to bleed out before tracking. Don't ask me how I know.