Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old Remington 552 was sent home with me to clean up the stock. I’ve seen this before, but I’m not certain exactly what causes it, what it is, or how to remedy it. My assumption is that it is probably a mixture of dirt and oil from the original finish that has hardened. But I’m not sure.
So, short of abrasives- has anyone found a way to “clean“ this? I did test rubbing alcohol on a portion of it and it removed some of it- but not the really hard stuff. I’d really like to find some kind of method to soften this coating without really doing a lot to whatever is underneath.
I hope the pictures give some clarity to what I’m talking about.
Advice, input… all of that is appreciated.

Brown Grey Rectangle Tints and shades Wood

Arm Leg Human body Wood Tints and shades

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It kinda looks like mold, if so I'd try microban. If its dirt and grime hot soapy water should do the trick.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Goof Off, I believe it is xylene based. Test it in a small area of course. But then again, I just like the smell of it so I could be prejudiced.
Acetone might work as well. Use both in a well ventilated area and nitrile gloves if you got them.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I've got a Remington 241 that sat up in the corner of the kitchen, for some reason, got Prince Albert smoke and everything else on it. I sprayed it down with WD 40 and rubbed it off...d2

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
I refinished a stock years ago. Bought some finish remover from Brownells. Paint the wood with it. let it work for the recommended time then scrub it off with water and a plastic brush. It took 2 applications. then I let the stock dry. Mixed up a paste of Methanol and some kind of powder they sold. I believe it was calcium carbonate. It pulled the oil out of the wood after a couple of applications. The stock was then clean bare wood and ready to refinish.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I know if you use bug spray with deet in it and touch a stock it can soften and gum up a lot of different finishes. Maybe that’s what happened, got softened, and it just attracted dirt over the years. If it was mine, I would strip it with citrus, iron out the dents, sand it, and finish with truoil. Be like new then, and probably look bette than it did from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts