Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do your dogs handle fireworks? All dogs seem a little different. I have one GSP that dont seem to get excited. My Springer wants to get in the middle of it all. My Setter, young, gets a little nervous and another GSP of mine is gun-shy so he is a nervous wreck.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Our old goldie was good to go with guns and loud noises, untill the onset of epilepsy. Now she cowers at the first clap of thunder, and we basically have to keep her indoors with supervision during July 4th celebrations.

All of our hunting dogs get "conditioned" to loud noises from the start. We slam cabinet doors and bang pots and pans together while they eat as puppies to get them used to loud noises. I have used a .22cal blank-powered dummy launcher so they'd get used to gun sounds while retrieveing.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
Ive always heard that fireworks could ruin one so I wont let anyone shoot any around here. They have to go in the pasture away from the dogs.

I live in the country so its not really a problem for me but I dont know what youd do if you live in town.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.