Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Reviews-Products/Gear/Guides/Outfitters' started by zachpilot, Jan 27, 2008.

1. zachpilot

zachpilot Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals,

My gun cabinet is running out of room so I am thinking of investing in one of those large fire proof gun safes. How ever after visiting the local Sportsman warehouse I see that there is all sizes and price ranges to choose from so I was wondering if anyone here could give me their opinion on what they feel is best for the money.

Thanks,

Kirk

2. CrabClaw

CrabClaw Well-Known Member

Gun cabinets are sure pretty and nice to display your weapons, but they are not secure by any means-they advertise your guns to entice the criminal. Get the biggest , most fire proof gun safe you can afford--best investment you can make regarding your guns. You'll be amazed at how you ever got by without it-important papers, photos, keepsakes, etc.

3. Idigdirt

Idigdirt Well-Known Member

Academy sports sells the one that I have. I think it was the best safe for the money I found. Its an American Eagle by Cannon. Its rated 1200 degrees for 33 minutes. It holds 30 guns if you put them in just right For under $600. Thats the price of 1 good rifle.

4. reflex1

reflex1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Check all the stores - Gander Mountain, Ft Thompson, Wally World, Sports Academy, etc - compare and write down what info you gather in a chart like listing - then see what is best for you. I bought mine on sale at the Fort last summer - about $600 with taxes.

5. Make sure you look at the inside layout real good. It may say it can hold x amount of guns, but you gotta place them just right. Only thing i hate about mine is to get a gun out of the back or middle you gotta pull them all out to get to it

6. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

I got one a couple of months back, and I just love it! It beats having a gun cabinet anyday of the week. Not only do I have my guns in it, but I also store my ammo, and important documents in there.

7. smokepole

smokepole Active Member

I purchased a Browning safe it is safe to 1250 for 45 minutes. You can also put important papers o n top shelf. My homeowners went down when I put it ina sasfe. Buy the best you can it is a good investment. Also the peace of mind when you are not home. Good luck and good hunting.

8. ryanh_johnson

ryanh_johnson Well-Known Member

I just bought a Remington 24 gun a few weeks ago thats rated at 1200 degrees for 30 minutes and it was just a little over $400 WITH taxes........the store didnt want to have to keep so many in stock all year round....so they closed all models out...... i love it!!

9. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

I have a 28 gun safe from cannon,Look at service calls and what will be done if it is in a fire.Layout is important most of all buy the best and biggest you can may be more up front but you will be happy in the long run.

10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Good words there. You'll out grow a safe real quick.. Look at the biggest one you think you'll ever need, and get the next size or 2 up.

11. zachpilot

zachpilot Well-Known Member

Thanks all,

Do you guys also put de-humidifiers in your safes. Electric powered or battery powered.

Kirk.

12. I just have the silica gel packs in mine.........big ones.

I really don't have a humidity problem in my home just outside!:frown: