Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of yall have some sort of red dot, holograph, or scope on your shotgun? My turkey gun is a whinchester sx3. It has an aluminum receiver so I cant drill and tap it. My only option is a burris speed bead, any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

dave

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Can you not get a mount that will mount from the side of your gun. I dont know, Im just asking. Ive seen them used b4. I cant remember what they are called thou.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I been turkey hunting since 1983 I think. I can think of more times in weather conditions a scope would have hindered my hunt than times it would have helped on any. Why is a scope even needed in turkey hunting? Hey, I'm not knocking it, just wondering about the reasons. I've never found a purpose for one. Educate me on the up side of using a scope on a shotgun turkey hunting. Y'all talk me into it, I have a Leopold turkey scope in my closet for the last 6 years I may play with. Never found a use for it.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have used a red dot for the last few seasons.I love it. Thompson I always felt the way you do until I started having issues seeing the front bead clearly.I wore glasses for a while but they were a major pain,fogging up was my main problem.I now wear contacts but my red dot will stay.

·
Banned
193 Posts
I started out with a speedbead last season. I kept on losing my point of impact after shooting a heavy turkey load through it. Everything was tightened down solid as a rock. Finally took it off. Wouldn't recommend one, but if you do wanna go that route, I have one I will sell cheap.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I traded a pistol for a browning gold 10 gauge. The point of impact was one foot high- my only option was a scope/red dot. I mounted a tru glo open shot on the receiver and love it. I never understood optics until I was forced to try them-now I'm a believer. When Tom is in range you settle the dot at the base of his neck and squeeze- you can see from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet when you pull the trigger. When dialing a choke/shell combo in that's extremely tight the red dot is much more surgical. Lastly you never have to worry about keeping your head on the gun in the heat of the moment- wherever the dot is the pattern hits.

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,437 Posts
I have killed several gobblers thzt I had to swing fast on and killed em running. Could not have done it with a scope on my shotgun but hey, to each his own.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dave,
Check out B-Square. They have mounts that bolt to the side of the receiver. I'm not sure if they'll have one for your gun but they might. I had planned to get one for my Beretta but never did.

Richard

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
How many of yall have some sort of red dot, holograph, or scope on your shotgun? My turkey gun is a whinchester sx3. It has an aluminum receiver so I cant drill and tap it. My only option is a burris speed bead, any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

dave
Dave,
I put a truglo gobbler dot (I think that's what it's called...has both red & green dot with a circle around it). It is mounted on either a Bsquare or Millett saddle mount due to the same reason as yours on his youth 1187. I don't like the mount that much cause I was taking it off every season for him to duck hunt but it has held it's zero with 3" hevi blends very well. He is right handed & left eye dominant. He's 10 years old so the scope helps him keep his cheek mounted on the stock instead of trying to raise up & look at the gobbler inadvertently right before he pulls the trigger which I have seen allow a gobbler to live another day many times.
He's killed 9 gobblers in the last 4 years with that set up with the scope & saddle mount. I love it for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts