Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's better to use for hogs, a rifle or shotgun?

If you're going to stand hunt, I would think a rifle with a scope, but walking them up, like rabbit hunting, I would think a shotgun with slugs, and maybe a few buckshot.

Someone enlighten me.

I am thinking about taking my bow, and doing a little night hunting. We'll see.

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
660 Posts
That's a mad crippled hog.

If I was going to a shotgun I would use a 12g slug

But for night hunting in the thick stuff I would use a winchester levergun with open sites in 30-30, 45c, 44, etc

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I've got a great little 12 ga. pump shotgun just made for thickets. It'll only shoot 2 3/4'' shells, but it has rifle sights on a 22'' barrell, and it'll put three slugs in a 3'' circle at 50 yards, no problem. I'm thinking it's my first choice.

What about a sidearm?

·
Registered
623 Posts
i always carried either a 20g mossberg 500 clyinder bore 18.5" barrel with 2 3/4" remington slugs or a marlin .30/30. also carried a .38 spl and my sticking knife. a hog is tough, but shot placement is the most important thing. i know lots of guys who carry .22 magnums, but i wouldn't. a slug is probably the most devastating. we always hunted with dogs, that's why i always carried a short gun, pistol, and the knife. the knife has the most kills too....

luke:thumb:

by the way, under 20 yards buckshot would probably do just as good as slugs if you gun does not shoot slugs accurately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.