Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester modol 70 in 223wssm that I'm having a problem with.
It's kinda hard to explain but I'm gonna try anyway.Ok after I chamber a round and shoot the gun,It's harder than it should be to open the bolt.Really hard compared to my other bolt guns.And the shell casing looks not really damaged but some black on outside of casing.And i'm talking about the bullet end not the base of the casing.

Is the Chamber mis-sized somehow a little bit?It's like the shell casing is being overlyswelled(for lack of a better word).....In other words is the very end of the chamber larger than what it should be?Causing the shell casing to be almost stuck?

The gun performs great,shoots great.It's a real tackdriver,with this one flaw of course.

So How about it Experts,...................Any input on my problem i'm having?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I don't think it's a mis-sized chamber issue. The chambers are checked and re-checked with a go - no-go gauge at the factory. Non-belted magnum's headspace are measured at the shoulder so it is the shoulder that the headspace gauge checks.

It sounds like you got a rifle that had a worn or dull finish-reamer used on it. If you polish the full length of the chamber to include the area that will contain the neck of the case it should be fine.

You can use a 28ga shotgun swab with lapping compound or "Flitz" metal polish and attach it to a section of cleaning rod and insert it in a cordless drill and give the chamber a good polish. Next attach a .30 cal swab and do the same to the neck area of the chamber neck, marking the rod with a piece of masking tape to make sure you don't push too deep into the chamber throat.

After a good polishing and cleaning with solvent to remove any polish or compound your rifle will have no difficulty extracting spent cartridges.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
88,029 Posts
A few things come to mind...

Have you cleaned the chamber? A dirty chamber can cause sticking of the cases when trying to extract them.

Are you shooting factory loads or handloads? If factory loads, they might be overpressure for some reason. It happens every once in a while that factory ammo is mis-loaded and the company has to do a recall on it. You might need to contact the manufacturer and give them the lot number off the box and see if they have had any problems with that particular ammo.

If it's handloads, you might need to check the load data, it might be overloaded.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's a mis-sized chamber issue. The chambers are checked and re-checked with a go - no-go gauge at the factory. Non-belted magnum's headspace are measured at the shoulder so it is the shoulder that the headspace gauge checks.

It sounds like you got a rifle that had a worn or dull finish-reamer used on it. If you polish the full length of the chamber to include the area that will contain the neck of the case it should be fine.

You can use a 28ga shotgun swab with lapping compound or "Flitz" metal polish and attach it to a section of cleaning rod and insert it in a cordless drill and give the chamber a good polish. Next attach a .30 cal swab and do the same to the neck area of the chamber neck, marking the rod with a piece of masking tape to make sure you don't push too deep into the chamber throat.

After a good polishing and cleaning with solvent to remove any polish or compound your rifle will have no difficulty extracting spent cartridges.

Hope this helps.
I had someone else tell me the same remedy,I wanted to get a second opinion,though.
Thanks Digdart

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few things come to mind...

Have you cleaned the chamber? A dirty chamber can cause sticking of the cases when trying to extract them.

Are you shooting factory loads or handloads? If factory loads, they might be overpressure for some reason. It happens every once in a while that factory ammo is mis-loaded and the company has to do a recall on it. You might need to contact the manufacturer and give them the lot number off the box and see if they have had any problems with that particular ammo.

If it's handloads, you might need to check the load data, it might be overloaded.
Well I cleaned it pretty good i think.I should check again I guess.I bought it used and it was very dirty,bore and chamber.I cleaned it up and oiled it and started shootin it.Oh it is Factory Loads,Winchester ballistic silvertips..55gr I think.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Well I cleaned it pretty good i think.I should check again I guess.I bought it used and it was very dirty,bore and chamber.I cleaned it up and oiled it and started shootin it.Oh it is Factory Loads,Winchester ballistic silvertips..55gr I think.
A chamber should be cleaned with a chamber brush not just swabbed out. If you have access to one it may be worth $10 to ask a local gunsmith to look at your and clean the chamber thoroughly for you.

Otherwise, I would echo Mr. Chitlin's post.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I had someone else tell me the same remedy,I wanted to get a second opinion,though.
Thanks Digdart

Someone else is a wise man. Don't worry! I am a certified gunsmith and wouldn't give ya bad info.

The process I spoke is a substitute for the chamber polisher that I have. I recommend the 28ga swab with compound added because the short-magnum should have the same case dia. as a 404 Jeffries and the 28ga swab will provide a pretty tight fit. If you don't have an action insert just use your hand to keep the rod centered in the action while operating the drill.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone else is a wise man. Don't worry! I'm a certified Gunsmith and wouldn't give ya bad info.

The process I spoke is a substitute for the chamber polisher that I have. I recommend the 28ga swab with compound added because the short-magnum should have the same case dia. as a 404 Jeffries and the 28ga swab will provide a pretty tight fit. If you don't have an action insert just use your hand to keep the rod centered in the action while operating the drill.
Well dang, Why did'nt you say so?:biggrin:..........I may try to find a smith around here to do the polishing.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Well dang, Why did'nt you say so?:biggrin:.......

Well....Every time I come home I usually have more work waiting for me than I do here at work.

My last vacation spent in NE AR, I had three 700 Rem's, a 1187 Rem., two Colt 1911's, and a 742 Rem. waiting on me. I think my younger brother posts my schedule before I come home.

I don't mind helping someone out when I can.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well....Every time I come home I usually have more work waiting for me than I do here at work.

My last vacation spent in NE AR, I had three 700 Rem's, a 1187 Rem., two Colt 1911's, and a 742 Rem. waiting on me. I think my younger brother posts my schedule before I come home.

I don't mind helping someone out when I can.
Yea I bet you can't get much free time,,,I wish we had a good Smith around here.......I don't know of one anyway...........I may just try to polish it myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.