Gun choice help

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by johnspies, Jan 5, 2011.

1. johnspies

johnspies Well-Known Member

Hey.
    Found a SBE in black for $699; used but 'as new'. 24" barrel and a 15.25 LOP; I guess that's modified?

Or....I'm gonna get a new supernova.

2. xdamagexx

xdamagexx Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

its all ur preference, i shoot a SuperNova and love it. i wanted a pump. i tend to save on the ammo when i have to pump it. i went from a 24" auto Berretta to a 28" Benelli. needless to say im shootn way betta with my new gun than the old one. i prefer the longer barrel., but i also field hunt more than woods.. i got a Mossburg pump thats 24" i will take to the woods if i want in your face shootin. (easier to swing around in the woodz.)

3. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

your buddies will hate you with that 24" barrell. Id go with a 26 or 28. never had any trouble swinging a 26 in the woods

4. INYOURHOLE

INYOURHOLE Well-Known Member

I hunt timber only and use a SBE II with 24" barrel, wouldn't have it any other way.

5. Whispering Death

Whispering Death Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to shoot a SBE. I have never seen a SBEII that didn't jam. My friend refers to his as the world's most expensive single shot. He religiously cleans his gun after every hunt, but then again he uses his gun a lot and isn't just an every other weekend hunter. I have a Beretta Xtrema 2 and couldn't be happier. I have had it for 3 years and have put no telling how many rounds through it. The only jam I've ever had was with a POS Fiocchi shell someone gave me. The extractor ripped the shell casing, but I blame the shell not the gun.

6. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 Well-Known Member

I have an older SBE and love it. Only time it has ever hung up was my fault. I stuck some muddy shells in it. Dunked it in the water and went back to shooting! SBEs need very little oil. Just a drop on the rails and thats it. What happens it oil gets down into the action spring and sludges up when its cold.

7. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 Well-Known Member

my barrel on my sbe measures out to 24 but it is as long as my 26" a5. I guess because of the longer reciever on the SBE.

8. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

My SBEII is 26" and it's just right. You could put an extended choke tube in that 24 and it'll be just right for timber.

I have never had a jam in my SBEII... EVER... NOT ONCE... AT ALL... WITH ANY LOAD... that is all!

9. DuckLn

DuckLn Well-Known Member

Find an original S.P.A. Urbino Italy SBE with 1 notch on the bottom side of the bolt if you want a gun with good resale value and a built in floatation option.

10. INYOURHOLE

INYOURHOLE Well-Known Member

Like i said, hands down best gun for timber hunting is a SBE II 24" barrel. I also have a Beretta Xtrema and it sits in the gun safe. SBE means less jams and more time killing ducks while others are cleaning their guns. I clean mine once a year and hunt atleast 4-5 days a week.

11. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

You really can't go wrong. I have Nova and a Vinci. They are both flawless performers. My Nova is the original from the first year they came out. I have killed literally thousands of ducks and dove and about a dozen turkey. The gun has been cleaned less than once a year. I had a gummed up during pin from not cleaning it and that's the only time it has failed. I cleaned it and its all good.

On the other hand my Vinci is the best gun I've ever shot. Many of my buddies shoot the SBE,SBE2, and M1s. They just work. You can't go wrong!

12. jigpoleed

jigpoleed New Member

go look a browning bps i have had one for 20 years never had a problem with it jamming or anything just put shells in it and pull the trigger

13. Murphy83

Murphy83 Well-Known Member

I'm w/ you on that. I have a Browning BPS also and the action on it is smooth. If you want to spend the money I would look at a Browning Silver.

14. bawildcat71

bawildcat71 Well-Known Member

I have a silver and love it but i dont know that i wouldnt like the benilli spe2 better

15. Anything shorter than a 26" is not good when you hunt with others! Its too short and your buddies ears will be ringing for days!!! :whistle:

16. YellanMan

YellanMan Well-Known Member

Exactly! I hunt with an old man sometimes who is an x marine. He believes that if you touch a gun you must clean it, more lube the better. He has tried every gun out there and always ends up complaining about it jamming and trading it in for a different one at the end of season. Looks at my wore out sbe that I clean once a year and is covered in mud and blood and thinks I am crazy. Tried to tell him to use very little oil, just a few drops on the rails, but it goes against all of his training and logic. He has a nova now and is allready complaining.

17. run-n-gun

run-n-gun Well-Known Member

All of the round saftey guns have built in floatation. The triangle safety guns need a dab of JB weld.

18. cuppinducks

cuppinducks Well-Known Member

Yes!!!! Especially when it is a 10 gauge!!!

19. xpress 1546

xpress 1546 Well-Known Member

I bought my nova back when i was thirteen?? I am 26 now. i think thats when they first came out. I can honestly say, it's the tuffest gun i have ever owned but kicks like a mule!! literally, but they say with the weight that goes in the stock helps a lot but i am not going to put any money into it, i have abused it too much.

Also, for 699 save 400 more and get a winchester sx3 or browning silver.

20. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

I shoot a browning silver auto... And love it, very nice gun.