Gun appraisals

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by kingbasser69, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM.

1. kingbasser69

kingbasser69 Well-Known Member

Where do you go to get high end shot guns apprised in Arkansas

2. DuckLn

DuckLn Well-Known Member

How high end?

3. Are you wanting them appraised for insurance purposes or in order to sell?

What brand/model are you talking about?

4. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

It's not in Arkansas.... but the NRA has a firearms museum in Springfield, MO.
    If I wanted an appraisal I could trust - they would be my initial choice.
    I just plain don't know of any appraisal services in Arkansas.... I'm sure there are some.
    I'm leary of unknown (to me) collectors and most all retailers..... or anyone that says at some point, "I'll give you...."

5. kingbasser69

kingbasser69 Well-Known Member

They are Merkel shotguns
    1 147 EL 20 gauge unfired with case
    1 147 EX 20 gauge unfired with case
    1 12 gauge used have to check model
    these are my dads and he is thinking about selling

6. Wow. That is definitely taking it to the "next level"! I think Saltydog is steering you rightly. Give the museum a call. They can probably put you in touch with the right people.

7. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

I may have jumped the gun about the museum... 40 years ago, the museum in Washington would do appraisals - I went there once with an uncle to have some of his fancy guns appraised.
    I looked the new museum up on the web to get contact info for you... looks like they no longer offer this service, but they do provide some solid info -
    http://www.nramuseum.com/gun-info-research/what's-my-gun-worth.aspx
    Look into contacting one of the high end auction services they have listed...

8. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

You can get a pretty good idea by looking at comparables on the internet. Cabela's gun library has lots of Merkels for sale; gunsinternational.com is another good resource. These are not local, but the local market for those guns will be very small. They aren't on the "high end" of high end shotguns, but they are certainly a step up from the local gun store. To get the right price for them you will want to expand your marketing window.

9. I used to appraise firearm collections for several insurance companies here. I would go to the collector's home or office, and give them a "fair market value" number to give to the ins. co. I NEVER gave the list of guns to the ins. co., just to the owner. I also gave him a sworn statement that I would not discuss his property with another person, not even my family. I charged a flat fee up to 10 guns, then a percentage beyond that. I didn't make a lot of money doing it, mostly a favor to fellow gun owners.