GUIDED BLACK VULTURE HUNTS.

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by LEXI, May 15, 2018 at 9:16 PM.

1. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Was reading Farm Bureau magazine and it had an article about black vultures killing calves and cows giving birth. Figured might as well get a depredation permit and start guiding Memphis hunters on vulture hunts. Lol. Heard there were a bunch with bands on em. Lol.

2. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

I have them here around my place. I also have the old red headed turkey vultures. Those Mexican blacks aren't near as quick to leave as the turkey vultures are. Told the local warden that I would be endangering them if the start after my calves again. I saw them circling so I assumed I had a dead calf. When I got there the calf was still alive but without eyes our a back end. After I put it out of misery, I killed every circling bird I could find. To bad the only deterrent is death. I guess all the chicken houses being built around have really got the population booming. I see 2-3 times more now than I did 5 years ago

N8HARNER, R6mm, curdog1 and 2 others like this.

3. ARoutdoorman

ARoutdoorman Well-Known Member

Bigelow
    We have them around here..the guy that leases our farm for cattle asked me if I ever see one to kill it because they will start eating the calf while it’s being born

ldsturg and R6mm like this.
  4. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Years ago my family ran cows up in the hills and had problems with vultures. My uncle said they’d peck out the eyes of newborn calves too. Think they thinned em out pretty good back then. That article said if you leave dead vultures laying around or where they can see them then they’ll leave that area. Does it work?

5. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

A few weeks ago I killed a coyote in a field about 150 yards from my house. Within 30 minutes or so the first turkey buzzard showed up. After about 20 minutes over a dozen turkey buzzards were eat'n and fight'n over the coyote, as more fight'n than eat'n. A single black vulture flew into the field and landed 20 feet from the crowd. The black vulture walked right up to the carcass and went to eating, like there was no one else around. The turkey buzzards parted like the red sea and then all backed off and watched him eat. All of the turkey buzzards were bigger than the black and they had it outnumbered 12 or 15 to 1, but they offered no fight, never threatened him in any way. All of the turkey buzzards just backed off and watched the black vulture eat. If the black vulture looked up from eat'n and stared at a turkey buzzard the bigger turkey buzzard would fall all over it's self backing off even more. I've never seen anything like it. Before the black showed up the turkey buzzards were fight'n like the devil amongst themselves, but backed off like whipped puppies when the black showed up and just watched it eat. This was pretty close to dark and the turkey buzzards all finally left before the black did. The next morning when I got up the black vultures were out in force cleaning up what was left, not a single turkey buzzard ever showed back up.

brushcreek likes this.
  6. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

Can't hurt. We haven't had any losses from them yet but there are a few decaying in the pasture from this weekend.

7. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Never seen a dead vulture so I wouldn't know?

brushcreek likes this.
  8. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Careful gentlemen:

"Because both Black and Turkey vultures are federally protected migratory birds, a federal authorization (permit) is necessary to legally “take” them. However, a permit is not necessary to “harass” or otherwise disperse or discourage vultures from using areas where they may be a potential threat to livestock."

9. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I hardly ever see turkey vultures anymore but the black vultures are everywhere. I see more black vultures than crows. I killed a deer last fall and brought it home whole. I gutted it about 100 yards behind my house. When I finished I drove the deer back to the house and went in to wash my knife. When I came back out, maybe six minutes later, there were 48 black vultures perched in the trees over the gutpile.

turkey63 likes this.
  10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I've seen a lot more of the black vultures this year than I can ever remember.

deadhead likes this.
  11. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    SSS... :D

12. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

dem suckers are something else for sure.

when I pull in to cabin in ohio they sit on the neighbors antennae waiting.

I tried out the 45-70 last year- first shot with it, 8 legs up in the air. in 5 minutes 10 black buzzards were in the tree over the deer.

13. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Please forgive the thread drift but I gotta ask...8 legs? You shoot two deer at once or did yours have extra extremities?

brushcreek likes this.
  14. Tal_H._Branco

Tal_H._Branco Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those things are thick as flies in Brazil. Streets around a meat shop are coated with poop. There are so many of them the locals call them the Brazilian Air Force.

15. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Wonder if robo vulture would work or Flambeau’s new dead calf decoy ? Guess it would take steel shot too being federal and all. Probably have to plug your gun too.

16. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’d be interested. Does it include a fancy lodge and a big meal?

17. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    No need to...."take them". Just leave them where they fall. 12 ga with #4 Turkey loads....should be enough to "harass" or "discourage" them from using the area. :)

brushcreek, N8HARNER, LEXI and 2 others like this.
  18. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    The best repossessed double wide money can buy. A nice cocktail lounge aka red wood deck and all the Natty Lite you can partake.

Onetrakd and Luv2hunt like this.
  19. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Nahw.. I like seeing the dog work. If I'm paying for a guided hunt, I expect the guide to have a good retriever.
    What kind of retriever are you running?

orangefeetdown likes this.
  20. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why would I come pay you for what I already have?

whetstone and Luv2hunt like this.