Arkansas Hunting banner

Greers Ferry's 20 pound walleye's

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  BEERHUNTER 
#1 ·
In doing some research while picking a place to retire,I see that the 20 pound Walleyes in Greers seem to be a thing of the past.what happened?Also it seems that Greers Ferry used to produce some big bass like 12-15 pounds but they also seem to be a thing of the past.I also see it seems the Arkansas Game and Fish seem to treat Lake Ouachita special.I see they are stocking Tenn. smallmouth to get a trophy fishery going up near the dam,and also working on a Florida Bass program to try to get bigger bass on lake Ouachita.Now I see Greers has a 20-28 inch slot on Walleye so that would seem they are looking for growing big Walleye.Can anyone out there shed some light on this?Thanks Tom in snowy Wisconsin

#2 ·
lakes cycle I know that. Lakes also "peak" like at 15-20 years past their build or something like that.

I don't know Greer's Ferry too personally, but it gets POUNDED with "fun" boating in the summer months for sure. I fished Lake Fork in Texas from 1990/91 through 1997/98 in its glory days.

Stripers might have added to the problems in Greer's Ferry, I'm not sure. Maybe the decline of structure (as the old standing timber rots) ?

#3 ·
The Walleye thing - those 20 pounder were a rare catch anyway. G&FC did electrofish one about 10 years ago that might have come close to the world record...

Still a pretty good number of walleye on the lake. The slot is primarily to try to get more fish into that upper size bracket.

As far as I know - there are no stripers in Greers - but it does have a decent population of hybrids (cross between striped and white bass) which do have an impact.

There use to be a decent lake trout populatin as well - but I don't recall the last time I heard anything about that either.

Greers is still a cool place to fish - especially in late November through about April.

#4 ·
The "BIG BASS" that Greers used to produce were partly a result of a stocking of Florida Largemouths in there many years ago, they only did it a couple of years and the genes have been diluted to the point of almost no impact now. Walleye got to where they were way over fished during the spawning run, still a good number of them, but nothing like it used to be. Greers is get'n old, built in the early 60's, and unlike Ouachita, there is no grass in it for cover, the most reliable fish'n in it now is smallmouth bass.

#7 ·
Greers Florida Bass

Sure seems strange that if the Florida Bass stocking did produce some big Bass in the past in Greers that they stopped stocking them.I know the Florida's do not do well if the water gets cold and Greers does get pretty cold like this winter,but the past shows that the end result was positive.In Wisconsin our DNR does a lot of things that just does not make sense.Pencil pushers instead of getting out and seeing things first hand and listening to the people that are out there who of course have the best handle on whats really going on.Go Figure.

#9 ·
I have a house on Greers and have grown up fishing it. The hybrid fishing is excellent, walleye very good, crappie good, smallmouth good, and largemouth decent.
I mainly bass fish and it took me forever to learn how to fish this lake. I throw mainly finesse baits. I have caught very few bass over 6 pounds on that lake. I have a 10 on the wall and a handful of 6s but not many. However, there is always something biting. Plus you have the Little Red right there for great trout fishing.

I love the lake but when I want big bass I have to go elsewhere!

#10 ·
HOGWALL I tried to send you a PM but couldn't. When you decide on an area, I can help you find a house if you are looking to purchase. Send me your contact info to lenordvaughan@yahoo.com
As far as Greers Ferry goes, it is still a nice lake but hard to learn. I heard a pro fisherman say that if you can figure out that lake you can win in the BASS circuit. Ouachita is great also you would not go wrong with either one.
Lenord

#12 ·
At least you can have a house on Greers Ferry and just walk down to you boat.
That meant a lot to me when I built up there.
I mainly hybrid fish and thats a blast!!
Hey potterspoint,
Where do you fish on the lake? My place is in Bankers Cove across from Fairfield Bay Marina. I chase the hybrids all over but my usual spots are at the mouth of my cove, Lynn Creek, Shiloah(sp), and five fingers.

By any chance do you fish with checkmate, bud girl, slow poke or any of that crew? I am just curious....maybe we have run into each other on the lake.

#14 ·
Hybrids

I fished Greers back in the 80's and caught a bunch of those Hybrids.They are a great fighting fish and taste pretty good to.I must admit when they are busting shad on the surface I would not fish for anything else.I fish Muskies with surface baits up here in Wisconsin and thats about as good as it gets seeing a 40+ inch fish making a wake behind your bait and than blowing up on your bait.Great action and thats what its all about.Thanks for all the replies guys.

#15 ·
one reason they treat ouchita so special Mt harbor resort $$$$$ getting a trophy fish program going there means all those rich out of state vacationers will want to buy those high dollar out of state licenses so they can catch a big fish but i am not going to complain i like catching big fish to

#17 ·
I grew up fishing Greers. Back in the mid 80's every year a couple of people caught walleyes right at and over 20 pounds. I try not to bash the G+F but i really think they messed the walleye fishing up. They decided to net across the three main tributary streams each march and milk the eggs from the big females and then raise them in the hatchery system. They are turned loose by draining the rearing pond at mill creek just west of the narrows. I've only caught the pond emptying once but have talked to others who have caught being done also. I couldn't say how many fish I caught that were enjoying the free meal of the fingerling walleyes but it was a bunch. Even the carp, who normally bottom feed, were eating the walleyes. In this case it would have been better to let mother nature take care of the reproduction.

It's been a long time since a really big walleye was caught.

#18 ·
i have a place at cove creek on greers and about those otters tearing up boats is a new one on me however i have seen a party barge and a ski boat totally wasted by buzzards at cove creek landing.they ripped the seats to pieces and crapped all over the interior it was sickening.if you camp there and leave your boat beached beware.i always get up at daylight and go out in my boat if i leave it on shore there.the guy that had the party barge (brand new) said his insurance would not cover it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.