Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in April my wife and I acquired a farm with a small pond, about 1/2 acre. We were told it had "some catfish" in it. I had caught a bass and a bream in it just to see if it was alive. We put it on the to do list to check out. Had lots of plans for the cats then decided I'd get an opinion since we wanted to treat the pasture 2-4-D and maybe enlarge the pond. About two weeks previous a friend came over and fished a blue worm and in an hour he had caught 7 bass. The smallest was about 1 lb, then the rest were at 2-3 lbs and one whopper that would go well over 4lbs. So much for the cats. I called Saline County Ag Extension and was placed in contact with Ron Matlock County Agent, He recommended a fellow that lives in Benton named Allen Carter. So I called Allen and set up an appointment. I met him and his sidekick in downtown Paron, right near the popular nightspot, and out we went. ( My place is 7.5 miles down a gravel road.) Upon getting out of his truck and introductions (A very pleasent gentleman) he started off on about a 45 minute oral/sight survey of the pond. (During this time a friend of mine and his son caught 18 bass. According to visual examination they were skinny.) Allen explained some more and he definitely knew what he was talking about!! Then for the grand finale he seined a small section. When the siene came up he looked at the contents and said,"I know people that would give their right arm to have that kind of age distribution. " I was busy looking at the contents and the 4 bream in it that were what I called squeezers . You can't get your hand around them. AWESOME!!
I had pictures of all this but my download failed and I lost all of it. So the pics that accompany this were taken yesterday afternoon.
His recommendations:
1. Put some brush,trees & cover in the pond. Just throw it in and it will gradually sink.
2. Put pea gravel in for beds.
3. Lime the pasture drainage area or put 1.5 tons of lime in the pond to adjust the PH.
4. Catch all the bream you want
5. Put an aerator in so that the water from top to bottom will be fertile. ( I assume this will increase the poundage capacity of the pond.)
6. Bass:
A. For large Bass take out 10-15 lbs small bass in the spring.
B. Staus quo just leave it alone and do catch and release only.
C. Large bass: Add 100-150 lbs Talapia (Male & female) fry each spring for forage . The Talapia become lethargic as water temps decline in the fall and the bass will gorge themselves on them. Either way the water temp or the bass will do in the Talapia.

Neat stuff ehh?

I had to do this. I did a Google on Allen Carter Arkansas. He was the Senior Fisheries Biologist for Arkansas Game and Fish at retirement. He redeveloped the Bass Fishing on the lower Arkansas River. Trout fishing well you just need to read his accomplishments. This is a shameless ad for him. He does charge for his service and my total bill was $200. Did it help. You bet. Saved me more than you can believe.
Yesterday I fished for an hour around the debris that he told me to put in. Fish were hitting all over it after only a week. I caught 5 bream a sample pic attached. The pond is full of these. Had two wrap up in the sticks. Had 4 line breaks. Had to be bass. I was using crickets and 6lb line. (I am going to replace the line. What can you do when the fish takes off straight away and the drag engages and snap!!)

HIS LAST RECOMMENDATION. DON"T LET ANYONE FISH IN YOUR POND!! IT is too fragile and all it takes is one person in an hour to screw it up big time.
Allen Carter can be reached at 501-316-2682 c-501-317-2018
email [email protected]

·
Registered
76 Posts
oct, you didn't say what kind of fishing rig you were using. if you were using spinning tackle take that mono off and throw it in the trash to burn. go to walmart and get a spool of, i think, 6/20 or 6/30 braided spider wire line and spool up with it. braided line is a marriage made in heaven for spinning tackle. it will stop your line twisting problems and will let you land those big catfish and is small enough for bream. caution: if you get hung up you will have to get a stick and wrap around the line to break it. i'm going to try the braided on trout and see if it works there.

old

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trilene

The line had to be some form of Trillene at 6 lb. Definitely not braided. The last innovation on line that I've noticed is Spider line. Just haven't fished a lot sine the early 80's and mid 70's. Thanks, I'll give the braided line a try. The rod is an ultralite that I use for trout.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
That's awesome! Money well spent. If you really manage it well, it's amazing what you can do with a pond that size. I took aquaculture in high school, and the ag teacher let us come out to his place and fish his pond like that. It was the best bass fishing I've ever experienced.
Most folks have no idea where to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.