Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I'm looking for a GPS app for my iPhone. One that I could use when I do not have cellular service. I'm sure some you guys out there using them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do have three installed on my iphone they are

1. ( hunt by onX ) my understanding is that you have to purchase maps for each state 29.95 each.

2. (the Journal ) you can use this maps but no topographical not sure how this one works.

3.. (Trimble outdoors) this is one that I like the best so far it does have topographical 3-D and let you marked trails and your travels this one also has a subscription but it's $29 a year and you get all maps

Need more information on iPhone apps that are working for you as of now I would not recommend any of the above. thank any information

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would like to know the latest and greatest too. These things change so fast. I used trimble on my old Iphone 4 . It worked great at first but started to get slow and became useless ??

So now that I have Iphone 5 I would like to know what is working for you guys. I use google maps to see where I am but would like a good gps to store places and be able to return without a bunch of complicated steps

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Trimble has been the best for me. They also have fishing too. The only downside so far has been staying locked on a gps position. I'm pretty sure it works off of triangulation so its constantly bouncing my position around when I know I'm not moving. I still have been able to mark and go back to find brushpiles and crappie condos. It just takes a little more time than a real GPS/fishfinder unit.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was reading in Outdoor life this past month about a module you can buy for your Ipad that plugs into it. It is a true Satellite GPS receiver whereas a Iphone or Ipad works off cellular or wifi connections. Of course when out of cell service your gps doesn't work so this module cures that in a Ipad. Don't know if there is such a module for a Iphone but I bet someone might have such a thing. The Ipad module was $114. This would work well in a bass boat or car environment. Just some thoughts there.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I really like the "find my stand" feature on the antler insanity app for my own rather limited needs. I generally know where I am just like the GPS for dark navigation or distance etc. I find the Trimble app too complicated to use on the fly.

Drawback is no cel service, no map.....but the GPS still works.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use Trimble USA , and commander compass, the compass app lets you save places and you can navigate back to them real easy. The Trimble will pick up anywhere as long as u save that area in your offline maps first

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I use Trimble USA , and commander compass, the compass app lets you save places and you can navigate back to them real easy. The Trimble will pick up anywhere as long as u save that area in your offline maps first
I ran a military land nav course with the compass commander app and it took me right to every point. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I ran a military land nav course with the compass commander app and it took me right to every point. I highly recommend it.
Yea, with it you can type in lat/long, pick spots on map or mark spots where your at. Works great and is very accurate. I like the Trimble and motion X gps to save spots on the map but for navigation the commander app is hard to beat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts