Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My feelings are really taking a beating! I was invited to my friends farm yesterday to hunt turkey. He's got a nice place with a good turkey population. I knew the weather was iffy so I planned accordingly. Once again, I figured fields since rain and winds were expected. About 2pm I went to one of the better areas on the place that was known to carry a lot of birds. I set a hen decoy about 15 yds out into a newly planted corn field. I sat down against a good sized pine tree about ten yards into the woods with my little camo screen around me. Back behind me dropped off into a heavily forested hollow. Once things settled a little I began calling calmly softly with a Zink slate call. In a bit I hear a gobble way off to my right. I wait about twenty and do some yelps with my Lynch box call. I get an immediate gobble that sounds a hundred yards or so away. I call and he gobbles again. I call and he gobbles getting closer and closer. He's maybe 50 or so yards away. I'm scratching and he's gobbling closer and closer. It gets to the point that it seems he's gobbling in my right ear but I can't see him! There's a downed tree with a bunch of stuff grown up around it that is blocking my view. He walks away gobbling. He gets maybe a hundred yards away and I call him back! Just like before! He gobbles in my ear again. Walks away again. Gets called back again. Gobbles in my ear again. Walks away again! Good gobbledy ****! On the third time I let him walk off and went down into the hollow and tried to circle him a little. I'd call and he'd gobble but kept walking away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.