Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked on my food plot this week end. Couldn't find a tractor or a disc for a 4 wheeler so I pulled a disc with my ol' Ford. Worked like a charm! I'm so proud of my Ford! :biggrin: The plot is about 1/2 an acre. Threw out some biologic and 150 lbs. of fertilizer and covered it with a harrow. Got about an inch rain that evening, too! Hoping I see some pretty, green, leafy stuff by October 1. I also put out 4 bags of corn in two feeders, changed batteries and set the timers. Woo Hoo! Only a few more days, Lord willing!:woohoo: Y'all told me corn was high but nobody said anything about fertilizer!:hair:

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,231 Posts
Had to pay $22.50 per 50# bag in Heber, 3 weeks ago.My plots didn't get as much fertilizer as have in past. Made it go a lot further than before.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i paid $17 per #50 bag here in Waldron last weekend. i planted about an acre and 1/8. used 250 lbs of fert. deer huntin sure is gettin expensive. i planted wheat, forage oats, and chicory.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hope it turns out for ya Triple Threat. I got seed in the ground Sept 7th cant wait to see if it does good. I put down annual rye, alsikes clover, purple top turnips, and chicory. lucky for me I bought fertilizer this spring and held it for fall $9 for 50lb. 13-13-13

·
Registered
466 Posts
You guys need to make buddies with some chicken grower! I help one dump baby chicks every eight weeks or so and he gives me all the chicken poo I want. That stuff will grow grass on concrete if you keep water on it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You guys need to make buddies with some chicken grower! I help one dump baby chicks every eight weeks or so and he gives me all the chicken poo I want. That stuff will grow grass on concrete if you keep water on it.
Man I know thats some good poo, I used to help clean out stalls and hall that for fertilizer and fill in for the yard but I quickly learned its easier to make more money and just buy fertilizer :biggrin:

How did the chicken goo work with clover since its so high in nitrates did it burn the plants?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't use it on clover. Unless you have cows grazing it heavy the grass will grow so thick it will choke the clover out. I just use it on wheat or oats. Work it in before sowing is best IMO. I have put it on clover lightly without burning it too bad. Also it will work on clover if you work up and resow your plot each year. Keeps the grass killed back a little.Was going to try some of the herbicide that kills grass but not clover but spent my extra hunting money to lease some land that came available next to me. Maybe next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.