Got lucky yesterday

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by Mr. Chitlin, May 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Went to get some meat out of the chest freezer in the garage and the meat was a little soft. Started checking and the freezer had bit the dust. Caught it just in time. The freezer was about 18 years old so we got a good life out of it.

It was a 15 cu ft chest freezer. We had been wanting an upright for quite a while anyway so picked up a 20 cu ft upright.

I had ~300# of beef and ~75# of venison in the freezer. Another few days and it could have been a disaster.

I'm thinking about looking in to a freezer alarm. Something that makes a noise if the temp gets above a preset level. Anyone ever used one?

2. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

I haven't used one of those, but they have plug ins that have an alarm if the power goes out.

3. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

About a month or so ago I was cooking some fish in the fry daddy and I didnt want to stink the house up so I went out in the garage to cook. I put the fry daddy on the deep freeze and figured I should unolug the deep freeze so's not to throw a breaker. I made a very strong mental note to plug the freezer back in. That was on a saturday afternoon. My wife went to get sumpn out of the freezer the next wednesday and said hey sumpns wrong with the freezer! Luckily it was back during that cold spell when highs weee in the 40's and nothing ruined. Just a few things on top were getting soft.

JB Weld, Brakebill and No-till Boss like this.
  4. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Mine wasn't a power issue, it was a compressor issue.

The old freezer (and this one too) had a light on the front of it that showed it had power. I usually glance at it and see that it's on. Being that it's new it'll probably outlast me.

5. crappieitis

crappieitis Well-Known Member

Fouke
    They sell them with an alarm that sounds when the temperature drops in case something is caught in the door.

6. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Think I'll look into them also. The one time I lost all of my meat I had some boxes stacked in front of the freezer and couldn't see the light. Something audible would be nice.

Mr. Chitlin likes this.
  7. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

I have one of those but you have to have perfect hearing. The door didn’t shut all the way on ours one day and the alarm was going off. One of the boys ask what the Beeping was. It was the freezer that I never did hear.

8. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    I had that happen a couple months back. Had 200 pounds of deer meat plus everything else. As soon as I opened the garage door I could hear that alarm sounding.

crappieitis likes this.
  9. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    I have never used one but I was not as lucky as you were. We had our chest freezer slammed full shortly after deer season the other year when it went out. We found out after everything had thawed out but was still fridge temp. Needless to say all of our friends were invited over for a cookout.

10. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Glad you caught it in time. Not much worse than finding out your freezer died a day too late.

JB Weld likes this.
  11. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Yep, and man does it make a racket when the electricity goes of and stays off too long. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe that racket!

12. dspeakes

dspeakes Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W

I need one of those alarms. Lost everything in my freezer a few months back.

13. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    The more annoying/obnoxious the better as far as I am concerned.

Allenn, John Stiles and juleo like this.
  14. jackiereed

jackiereed Well-Known Member

Hazen
    AcuRite 00986A2 Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer

I have 10 freezers and
    These are going in all of my them.

JB Weld likes this.