Got a Deutsche Drahthaar on the WAY

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by Paul Jones, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

Actually he was just born on December 15th so I won't be getting him till sometime in February. Man I can't wait. I'm like a little kid waiting on Christmas. I've never bought a dog without first seeing it, but there's a first time for everything I guess. I'm buying him from a very reputable breeder in Utah. Thats just alittle farther than I can drive to see him first. :smack: I'll post some pics as I get them from the breeder.

2. TurkeyAddict

TurkeyAddict Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>

I'm interested to know what kind of dog this is. Never heard of em. What are they used for. Just curious.

3. Paul Jones

They are similiar to a German wirehair, but are a breed of there own from Germany. They are a versatile hunting dog. They are bred to retrieve, point, and track wounded game. I am going to use this one for duck hunting and blood trailing. They are bred to very high standards. A dog has to pass a series of performance test as well as hip x-rays, and coat and coloration exam before they are allowed to breed. Google VDD and you can find them. I believe the site is www.vdd.gna.com. Not sure on that though. I'm just hoping to have one dog to cover all my needs.

4. Hollywood07

Hollywood07 Well-Known Member

Always wanted one. I found a breeder around Fayetteville but wasn't ready to drop that kind of cash on a dog just yet. I will have one sooner or later. Great all around hunting dogs. And I love their look.

5. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

One part of the test is killing a critter, house cats are commonly used, I've hunted pheasants with one of these before, cool dogs and congrats.

6. moodyd13

moodyd13 Well-Known Member

I am getting one in a few weeks! From a guy in Tennessee. He is an outfitter and uses his drahthaars on guided hunts. I've been so excited! and after bird season, a guy from mo is going to breed his and I'm going to buy a female and go get her.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

7. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

How much do these dogs cost?

8. moodyd13

moodyd13 Well-Known Member

With the vdd-gna papers anywhere from $900-1400 for a pup. What I have found anyways

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

9. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

Them ain't anymore than a pup from titled labs.

10. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

Phenomenal dogs. They will do it all. I know of a guy that has one. His has retrieved thousands in the timber and in South Dakota.

11. Ktalbertfirefighter

Ktalbertfirefighter Well-Known Member

Any dog that kills cats is a great dog to me!!!:thumb:

12. Paul Jones

Thats pretty much the way I justified it. My pup is going to be $1100 plus shipping. I never thought i'd say that about a dog. The $1100 and certainly not the shipping part. :biggrin: