Goose Hunters!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by thal212, Dec 26, 2010.

1. thal212

thal212 Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br

If anyone wants to get together and try to blast some geese, Dwill and I would love to join you. We dont have alot of dekes. Its just hard to kill snows when its the two of us. Would be cool to get a ARH.net snow killin party goin!

2. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

I know a wheat farmer who's fields are covered.... He wants me to come down and shoot the geese.... I dont have any snow dekes so I havn't gone down there yet... Wanted to start buying some, but dont think i'll be able to get a decent size spread in time...

If a few guys on here with some dekes wanna get together... im willing.

3. Crappie hunter

Crappie hunter Well-Known Member

I have only used decoys a few times. We just find it easier to put a sneak on em. Most of the time we do really well. Just need a good turn row to sneak, or a deep ditch.

4. duece16

duece16 Active Member

I have 600 full bodies if u have the geese!

5. birdman24

birdman24 Well-Known Member

sneakin and jumpshooting is fun, but there is nothing like decoying those things..its almost, i said ALMOST as great as a group of mallard azz to the water in the timber.

ive got 338 decoys total with most of them being sillosocks (17 dz.). the rest are windsocks (50), 3 dz. silhouettes, 4 dz. shells, and another 5 goose magnets and a few flyers. Not a very big spread for snows but its been a work in progress for years and we are able to kill a decent amount with this small spread, but if combined with other groups and could get closer and closer to a grand, we could have ourselves a great hunt if we could get on the X..

6. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

I've got the geese. You can fill your limit daily come January for sure. Keep me in mind. I got the field.

7. CrappieMaster220

Matt, I also got permission from a guy thats south of England... He sent me a video of Thousands of snow geese on his wheat fields... He said they're pretty much always there, he's having a heck of a time keeping them off his fields.

If they're regularly using the fields, would you need as big of a spread?

8. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

best way to keep them snows out of a field is to put out about 500 socks....they wont come near em:idea:

9. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

Most places around here are just as effective sneaking on them.

10. hahaha....isn't this the dang truth

11. thal212

You may be able to kill a few sneaking up on them. But dang its a whole lot funner to put out a spread and call em in. Being in the middle of a tornado would be awesome.

12. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

I figure if you've got a field they want to be in, you don't need much of a spread. Last year they came in waves and if you got some down, all of them came down.

13. birdman24

x1000

14. birdman24

whether you are in an active feed field or a heavily used area, you still need a big spread for pulling power, just take my word for it. small spreads don't work unless you're talking 250-300 ghg full bodies but thats gonna cost some $$$ that most of us dont have!

15. DuckLn

DuckLn Well-Known Member

When i was in North Dakota, these folks from Texas came up to hunt and brot a cow decoy that they used to sneak up on flocks of geese - no kiddin. They said you had to creep pretty slow but you could walk right up to a flock and open fire!:biggrin:

16. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

yea we had a buddy get a hold of one of those chickflia cow signs, we changed the slogan to eat more ducks, works like a charm.

17. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

can't be angus, gotta be dairy. :up:

18. CrappieMaster220

I've also heard about the cow decoys... U can actually buy them from cabelas

19. alkrygow

alkrygow Well-Known Member

so who is tryin to go kill em? bc i am... we need to get it lined up... :up:

20. thal212

I'm workin on it. May setup a hunt for a couple weekends from now. This weekend is New years, and I have drill next weekend. Will try for the next one.