Goofy explanations

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shady grove, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I honestly feel sorry for some newcomers to hunting, I overheard some guys talking about hunting. They were talking about bucks with broke tines, well 1 told the other that an "old school hunter" (I hate the term "old school") told him the reason for the broke tines. He said it was packs of coyotes chasing bucks into thickets and the brush is what was breaking the tines off. Sweet Lord, that sounds like somethin the turtle man would come up with....

Another 1 was when does blow and throw their flag up they put down a "danger scent" that alerts other deer to stay away from that area.

2. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Thats funny! There are lots of myths out there.i love to hear them from the "deer experts".lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

That's funny. The coyote line of thinking is straight out of a busch light box but there may be something to the scent subject. There is a scent that is deposited from the interdigital gland(between the toes)when a deer stomps it's foot. There is some belief that this scent can be associated with danger. I don't think deer will avoid the area for long but might be more alert in that area for awhile. Just a thought.

4. If a deer avoided every area wher it found a "booger" they would have to crawl in a stump hole and die. Im no deer expert in any sense of the word, thats just my opinion....

5. fanatichunter

fanatichunter Well-Known Member

They actual do if they stomp the ground real hard when they blow it releases a wax like substance from in between their hooves that alerts other deer of danger.

QUOTE=shady grove;1706661]I honestly feel sorry for some newcomers to hunting, I overheard some guys talking about hunting. They were talking about bucks with broke tines, well 1 told the other that an "old school hunter" (I hate the term "old school") told him the reason for the broke tines. He said it was packs of coyotes chasing bucks into thickets and the brush is what was breaking the tines off. Sweet Lord, that sounds like somethin the turtle man would come up with....

Another 1 was when does blow and throw their flag up they put down a "danger scent" that alerts other deer to stay away from that area.[/QUOTE]

6. [/QUOTE]

I aint callin anybody a liar but I dont believe that.....

7. btech29

btech29 Well-Known Member

My favorite is "If I didnt shoot this dink someone else would have". Good times.

8. stumpy

stumpy Well-Known Member

So this wax like substance has to saturate enough to go from between their hooves to come in contact with the ground. Once this substance has been released what happens for the rest of the day when the does runs around with her hoof soaked with this "scent"?

9. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear a biologist weigh in on this one

10. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

The legendary Hole In the Horn buck had 45 points. I bet that would have been some tough old meat, from a buck that was 45 years old!

11. Arkansas Archer

Arkansas Archer Well-Known Member

I wish had a 160 on the wall for every time I've heard that. I would have to build a bigger home.

12. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    If I eat enough beans - I have been known to put off a "danger scent"....... :biggrin:

13. 25/06

25/06 Well-Known Member

This aint about deer hunting but I had a buddy several years ago thinking about trying his hand at turkey hunting for the first time. He got himself a permit for Sulfer River WMA. I had been telling him a few things about scouting and hunting. Well some turkey guru told him that turkeys would always answer a truck horn. Well, you guessed it, he drove around Sulfer blowing his horn like a blooming idiot. I couldnt believe he did that.

14. Popadoe

Popadoe Well-Known Member

"If you can hang a ring on it, its considered a point". LMAO

15. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

Google interdigital gland

16. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

google interdigital gland.

17. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

shoot their front feet off!!!:fit: :hide:

18. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like this "wax" is all over everywhere the deer ho anyway!

19. F B

F B Administrator Staff Member

Cabot
    odocoi is a biologist. :wink:

20. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

Well I don't know about all that. But I do know for a fact that a Dink is easier to skin than an older deer and they do eat better PLUS you can fit ONE in a cooler :)