Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story actually begins Thursday, about 6pm on the way back from Little Rock. I stop at a field that i had seen turkeys during deer season, just hoping to see some. I pulled to a stop about 40 yds from the field, not wanting to spook anything. I got out of the truck and walked slowly to where I could see out in the field. I just got to where I could see and boom, there they were. About 60 yds out, there was 9 hens, 3 jakes and a BIG strutter. They had heard me coming and were easin back into the treeline but didn't seem to be startled. I watch through binoculars as he stayed bowed up the whole time herding his hens and punkin' the jakes. He followed them up into the wood line, up to the old log road that cuts up through the woods ,and stayed on that road spittin' and drummin' at about 80-90 yds from me until his hens got down the road and cut back into the field @ about 150yds and a few minutes later here he come right behind them, still in full strut. He never gobbled once but did a real low, raspy yelp several times. I watched all this for about 45 minutes and they never knew I was there. I waited 'till they got far enough away and I eased out of there. So Friday, I see my old neighbor and we get to talking about turkeys and I remember he had a little boy and I asked him if he could shoot a shotgun and he said yes so we hooked up Saturday morning and took him out to where I saw all that take place on Thursday and as soon as we get out of the truck at 6:30, turkeys were hammerin'. They did just what I tlhought and had roosted in the pines on the public land that bordered those fields, which are private. I was hoping theyd roost in the woods a little ways so that we could try to intercept them in the old logging road, walking to the fields. Those suckers ended up being roosted right on the edge of the field, right above the log rd. We ended up setting down almost right underneath them. Turns out the jakes were gobbling around the bend and big boy was roosted with his harem being quiet, not 50 yds from where we sat down and we didn't know they were there. We made some movement and all of a sudden a hen busted off the roost at about 40 yds and we thought it was over but the jakes kept hammerin and the other birds hung tight. We got treated to about 20 something gobbles and got to see all the hens and the gobbler fly down off the roost into the field. A few minutes later, we eased up to try and get a look at them and they had moved into the far treeline and we heard him gobble about 4 more times off in the back fields. We walked a little ways up and got within about 40 yds of those 3 jakes crossing the road, headed away from where the gobbler and the hens went. It was quite an eventful morning and we got to give a 7 yr old boy a heck of a first experience but a couple of hours is all a 7 yr old is good for so we headed home.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
That's cool hope everybody enjoyed the show...as much as I enjoyed hearing it.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Sounds like a good time. I love hearing them gobble and getting to watch a show for a while is a plus.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
You took a kid huntin' that probably wouldnt have gotten to go otherwise and he got to see a little bit of what its about.

That gets a :thumb: in my book!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted like crazy to take my nephew but gas is too much for me and his Momma to meet even half way. They live around Greenville, TX which aint far but dang, $3.25 a gallon is killin' me :smack:

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah. Thought y'all would like to hear some good news on turkey hunting etiquette. A feller pulled up as I was walking out of the woods and asked if we were on birds and I said yes to which he replied, "Well we'll get out of here, first come first serve." THat was on a public rd that leads to public land so he had every right to it technically but he did the right thing and turned around. THought Id throw in that bit of good news amongst all the peckerwood stories that we've all heard and probably got. :thumb:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Oh yeah. Thought y'all would like to hear some good news on turkey hunting etiquette. A feller pulled up as I was walking out of the woods and asked if we were on birds and I said yes to which he replied, "Well we'll get out of here, first come first serve." THat was on a public rd that leads to public land so he had every right to it technically but he did the right thing and turned around. THought Id throw in that bit of good news amongst all the peckerwood stories that we've all heard and probably got. :thumb:
Ouahita- if you see that man again thank him from Buba Garrett and tell him if the tables ever turn I WILL give him the same respect!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts