Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...poor morning shootin'.

Set up the FoxPro and at about the 5 minute mark I see a dog slipping down the fence/tree line about 50 yards out. Finally stops and presents a shot at about 25 yards but all I can guess is I shot under him or hit one of the small cedar trees because he hunkered down and streaked across the trail. I saw him leaving somewhat slow but could not get another shot as the was in the thick trees.

Put on the death cry of a coyote and in about a minute a second dog hops out at about 80 yards. At the shot he rolls up howling/growling and then runs back into the woods.

Went to the sight of the first shot and no blood or other signs of a hit so I went to the sight of the second shot. Found lots of long hair, some in tufts but absolutely no blood even though I tried to trail I had not idea of direction. I guess I shot him in the tail. :up:

Oh well, the FoxPro did its job I just did not seal the deal properly. Still a good morning of calling.

I was shooting a CZ 527 in .223 Rem with Remington 50 grain Accu Tip by the way. I know it was not the gun, it was me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sounds like some excitement. I'd say the call was successful. It's nice when they keep coming like that. The thing with misses: There's those that have and those that will. We all miss.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started with adult cotton tail and about 30 seconds after my first shot switched to the coyote distress. That coyote distress has called in at least 2-3 dogs for me. Natural curiosity I guess.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Sounds like a good morning ! Ain't nothing any harder to kill consistently than a coyote, shake it off and get the next one !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts