Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Winona today with the rest of Central Arkansas and didn't hear a gobble. The wind didn't help things at all. Anyone hearing anything? Do you anything differently on a real windy day like today, like call louder, sit longer than usual, etc?

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
I went to Winona today with the rest of Central Arkansas and didn't hear a gobble. The wind didn't help things at all. Anyone hearing anything? Do you anything differently on a real windy day like today, like call louder, sit longer than usual, etc?
Pray harder :biggrin:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
I heard a gobble...it was a jake and he didn't sound off until after he hit the ground and was almost within gun range...my pops heard a bird way off in the distance, it responded to an owl hoot first thing....hard to hear the birds....i had to use the diaphragm...the ole slate just wouldn't reach out far enough...called in a jake..but...thats not tourrney material! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
I went to Winona this mornin also and i never heard the first gobble til bout 10:30. I only got him to locate on the box call and we never could hear him again after we done hiked up the mountain towards him:mad:

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,172 Posts
I worked a couple of birds this morning, but they were henned up, and didn't want to cooperate. I did walk up on a bunch of hens, and decided to back up and call for a while, just in case there was a tom close, but I never heard a tom, and I did hear the hens moving through on the other side of the draw from me. I moved out to the right-a-way, only to walk up on a tom with about an 8 inch beard strutting, and sunning himself out in the powerline right-a-way. I tried to back off and call him in, but he just disappeared on me.

I did find this while turkey hunting. I think I'll clean it up, and make a European Mount of it. My grandson has already said that he wants it in his room.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
I only heard one gobbler yesterday and none today even though the wind wasnt quite as bad.

My truck said it was 41 degrees but it was the coldest 41 I can remember.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Camped out at Winona until this morning. No gobble all weekend!! My buddy had 6 hens walk right past him. Stayed there all day waiting for a gobbler but NOTHING! The wind was horrible up on the ridges. Finally calmed down last night and was quiet enough this morning to hear a gobble but still NOTHING! Maybe next week??

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I walked in 1.48 miles from my truck in Winona. Fresh sign was there, beautiful saddle area, all the makings but no gobbles. I heard a double shot at 9am and a single at 2pm on Saturday. Sunday I left my truck at 4:45am to walk in a gated road 2.5 miles and then waited until I could see to finish the 1/4 mile walk in. Over looking a valley of about 600 acres and no gobbles. Not even much sign in this spot. One shot about 8:30am.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hunted a couple different areas on Winona until 1:30 today, and I've yet to hear a gobble. Frustrating to say the least. I don't know if they're henned up or just not there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
talk about wind... today beat all. i got out early and the wind was calm. i got out of the truck thinking the cold weather may have them frisky this morning. much to my dismay, i hear what sounds like 2 helicopters hovering less than a mile away. turns out, the peach farmer near our lease was worried about the frost and he has these 2 giant fans that blows air across the orchard and keeps frost from getting on trees. also keeps anyone within 3 or 4 miles from hearing a turkey.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
talk about wind... today beat all. i got out early and the wind was calm. i got out of the truck thinking the cold weather may have them frisky this morning. much to my dismay, i hear what sounds like 2 helicopters hovering less than a mile away. turns out, the peach farmer near our lease was worried about the frost and he has these 2 giant fans that blows air across the orchard and keeps frost from getting on trees. also keeps anyone within 3 or 4 miles from hearing a turkey.
i did not hear a gobble till about 7:10 this morning. Had 3 let loose about the same time. They all hammered about 8 times a piece then completley shutup. Temps were just right, but that wind sucked for the rest of the day. Did not hear one thing once the wind picked up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts