Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard the first gobble of the year yesterday will fishing the hens were really tearing it up they must have got him all worked up anyways went home and broke out the turkey call can't wait till season opens:biggrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it won't be much longer and they should be gettin after it it was such a warm day yesterday that might have been the reason they were talkin

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
I saw some birds this weekend while I was driving around. A group of about 10 hens started walking away when I stopped, and sure enough there were a few longbeards right behind them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can see the post coming already("they are gonna be done before season opens").Relax,there's alot of winter left,a hen's not going to start laying in this cold weather,now old tom might start gettin the itch soon,would'nt you if you had to wait a year for some sugar!Turkeys dont just gobble to get a hen's attention,I've heard them hammer in the early fall,granted its not very often,but I have.Myself I feel like season is opening alittle late like many others do,but if it means the hen's have abetter chance at laying a clutch of eggs and start sitting I'm all for it.My 2 cents!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I was duck hunting on January 20th this year and before sunrise a flock of mallards flew over. When I gave them a hail call a gobbler gobbled. The duck started circling and every time I called at the ducks the gobbler would answer. For some reason he hushed when the ducks came into the decoys.:wink:

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
I was bowhunting a couple of days ago and was surrounded by turkeys coming to roost. They did lot's of talking 2 hours before dark but I didn't hear any gobbles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts