Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing today. Didn't do squat after the rain. The bigger problem is gnats. Biting gnats.

A month ago they were at Brewer. Today they're on the River. They're still at Brewer according to a friend.......he is literally swollen up and may have to go to ER. They're at Nimrod, and have been for a month. I just let my buddy out at his house in downtown Conway, and they swarmed me at his house!! They were at the farm when we were down there 2 weeks ago.

These are the wild kamikaze ones. Drive right into your eyes, ears, etc. Bite and leave whelps.

I've always seen gnats in spring when fishing. But they're usually only at shore and not too bad. They usually hatch, live a few days, and die or go away. This is a SOLID month, maybe more, that they've been active and biting and crazy.

If this is normal, my memory is gone, which is likely anyway. But I can't remember this ever being like this. Worse, there's apparently no end in sight.

Anyone else??

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Yep.

Made a float on Sunday. They were bad. I watched my buddy in front spray his head like he had a DDT sprayer. And the gnats went crazy like 40 count deet was crack.

I had to keep a lit cigarette in my mouth the whole time just to quell the assault.

·
Registered
30,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They loved DEET. They swarmed my thermocell.

I've never seen anything like this.

·
Premium Member
15,198 Posts
About a month ago they were as bad (lasted several weeks) as we've ever had them at the house.. Told my wife then I'd never seen so many.. Had whelps all over my arms and head.. Leave the garage and they'd swarm you.. Gone for now though..

·
Registered
162 Posts
On Brewer last Tuesday and they were terrible. I had 6 bites on my neck and around my ears and head. Near shore and out on the lake, didn’t matter, they were everywhere.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Seriously though skin so soft ,vanilla, or tiger balm are about the only things that work on them. I carry a small 2 oz squirt bottle with vanilla in my pocket when they are like this!

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
6,495 Posts
I've gotten to where I just wear face coverings when I'm fishing. If you look at my profile pic you'll see me covered in them. Forget what lake I was one. I know it was one of those small national forest lakes.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
They are at work too, by the millions. Hanging around my work bay. Last week they got me in the right eye. BIT my right eye. I can't see out of my left, so it was a couple days off work. The morning after the bites my right eye was completely swelled and crusted shut. After a few hours I could pry it open but it was like a horrible case of pinkeye. Never seen em this bad-ever. Deep Woods Off seems to just piss em off!

·
Registered
30,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know we joke, but these today seriously did not mind 100% deet, and actually landed on my Thermocell, which was tied onto my life jacket right under my face. They weren't bothered.

Wish I had some skin so soft........but last time I had some it didn't work at all.

Guy told me today that if they bite and make a whelp, use toothpaste WITH menthol.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Bottle Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Ingredient

This works , but you have to re apply every
Hour or two. A quality head net is hard to beat.
There are several gnat repellents on Amazon, etc. or make your own .
Most are a mix of vanilla,mint, and other natural extracts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts