Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to handguns and I prefer the Glock from what little I know. I recenty purchased the Glock 19 in 9mm. My question is how do the model numbers work in sizes. For example is the 19 a mid-size or compact. I am considering getting a .40 model 23 which I think is the mid-size. Just needing a little info on how the model numbers work :thumb:

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Possum! You sure made quick work of that one! OK lets go to pros and cons from one model number to the next from people who have shot a few different sizes. You out there MR. C??:cool: How much more recoil/knockdown does the .40 vs 9mm really have? Is it so much more that my fiance would have trouble handling it? She does great with the 9mm. Also is the compact size harder to handle on recoil than say the mid-size or larger framed glocks? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Thanks Possum! You sure made quick work of that one! OK lets go to pros and cons from one model number to the next from people who have shot a few different sizes. You out there MR. C??:cool: How much more recoil/knockdown does the .40 vs 9mm really have? Is it so much more that my fiance would have trouble handling it? She does great with the 9mm. Also is the compact size harder to handle on recoil than say the mid-size or larger framed glocks? Thanks!
Some folks think the recoil from a .40 is sharper, and therefore "heavier" than a .45. My wife will shoot box after box of 9mm, but I can't get her to shoot my .40 (a polymer framed Steyr, but about the same weight as a Glock). She will occasionally shoot a full-sized .45 1911, she says it doesn't "whomp" her as hard as the .40!? Point to this is you aught to gather, borrow, buy or steal a bunch of different hoglegs and go shoot! Only you (and your missus) will be able to say what's comfortable and what's not.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I won't get into the age old discussion of which is better between a .40 or 9 mm.........but i have a Glock 27 (sub .40) and a service model XD-40 and they both recoil the same to me, and they are both easy to handle. But recoil is different to everybody......my gf will shoot the xd with no problems, but won't touch the Glock

·
Administrator
90,750 Posts
How many will the glock 23 in .40 cal hold?
13 plus one in the tube.

I see possum has you lined up on the model's. Recoil is a subjective thing, and partly based on the experience of the shooter. I shoot a 40 when I compete, and shoot 10-15K rounds per year so the recoil isn't an issue with me. I have modified mags that hold 20, plus one in the chamber. I also load my rounds with powders to reduce recoil, and have changed springs to change the recoil impulse in the pistol I compete with. In factory loads, 40 will have more recoil than the 9mm and 45 due to being loaded to a higher pressure. 9mm will probably have the least recoil. With the construction of bullets that we have available today, there isn't a nickels worth of difference between any of them. 9mm will by far be the cheapest to shoot, especially if you buy factory loads.

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
13 plus one in the tube.

I see possum has you lined up on the model's. Recoil is a subjective thing, and partly based on the experience of the shooter. I shoot a 40 when I compete, and shoot 10-15K rounds per year so the recoil isn't an issue with me. I have modified mags that hold 20, plus one in the chamber. I also load my rounds with powders to reduce recoil, and have changed springs to change the recoil impulse in the pistol I compete with. In factory loads, 40 will have more recoil than the 9mm and 45 due to being loaded to a higher pressure. 9mm will probably have the least recoil. With the construction of bullets that we have available today, there isn't a nickels worth of difference between any of them. 9mm will by far be the cheapest to shoot, especially if you buy factory loads.
I guess a heavier bullet weight will create more recoil right?

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Don't want to hijack here mr. c, but I''ve been thinking about getting a hi-point like possum got and get a hi-point carbine to plink and maybe have a 30 yard deer gun that I could do some deep woods hunting with. I was thinking about getting them both in 40 cal for the extra power for the deer thing. Are you saying the 9mm would be just as effective. If so, I could get a the same thing in 9mm and get the "compact" hi-point.

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While you are answering questions Mr. C, what type of bulk ammo works well with the Glock in 9mm & .40? I dont reload! Is the Wolf brand any good? If not what would you recommend?

·
Administrator
90,750 Posts
I'm not so sure about deer hunting with it. None of them (9,40 & 45) would be the best for deer, you'd have to be sure of your shot and bullet placement. Personally, I think there are better rounds than those for deer.

I have a 9mm Kel-Tec carbine that takes the Glock mags. It's a fun little gun, but unless I was in a life or death situation, I wouldn't intentionally deer hunt with it.

·
Administrator
90,750 Posts
There are several people that shoot in our local matches that don't reload. Wolf seems to have the reputation that if it works in your gun, use it, if it doesn't, then you have to go another route. For some reasons, the steel cases that Wolf uses just seem to go with some guns, not with others. I know guys that burn cases of it through AR's, I know others that have AR's that won't feed 2 rounds in a row with Wolf but run brass cased ammo without a hitch.

It would probably be best to try a few boxes and see how it runs in your guns. If it doesn't run right, Winchester White Box ammo from Wal Mart and CCI Blazer seems to be a good alternative. CCI makes the Blazer in brass and aluminum cases. If you don't reload, the aluminum cased ammo should be cheaper.

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was wondering the same thing! I cant decide if I am going to get another 9mm of a .40 for our second pistol. We are both planning on getting our cc once we both have pistols. I know it will be another Glock:thumb:

·
Administrator
90,750 Posts
So if you were going to get a cc gun would the difference between 9 mm and 40 cal. power be a factor?
With the design of modern bullets, it is not as much of a concern as in the past. Several great bullets include the remington Golden Sabre, Sprre Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger (a remaned Black Talon that got so much media attention several years ago) and the Federal Hydra-Shok. All bring the 9mm to the same approxmitae level as the others for self defense.

I was wondering the same thing! I cant decide if I am going to get another 9mm of a .40 for our second pistol. We are both planning on getting our cc once we both have pistols. I know it will be another Glock:thumb:
If you don't reload, haveing SD pistols that can share mags and ammo would be a good thought. Even if you do reload, it might keep you from having to stock components for another caliber to load.

I am assuming that the G19 in 9mm is the exact same size as the G23 .40 as far as the actual size of the pistol.
Correct. The 40 will have a little more recoil than the 9mm, and will hold 2 rounds less.

I carry a Glock 27 a LOT, but if I were limited to 1 pistol, far and away it would be the Glock 19. It just fits my hand like a glove, is more than adequate for SD, and 9mm ammo is available everywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.