Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told the other night that shooting at a milk jug at 200 yards with this gun required no high holding - simply straight, dead on hold - no drop in the bullet.

For all you handgun gurus - is this true? I don't know what grain bullet was used! :head:

·
Registered
494 Posts
You don't have to hold high to shoot at a milk jug at 200 yards with a Glock 40 BUT if you want to hit it you will have to hold high because there are no objects on earth that escape the force of gravity.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
On another forum they were talking long range shooting with the .40. Somebody had experimented and found that a 180 grain bullet at 1100 FPS and a 25 yard zero your looking at about a 7.5" drop at 100 yards. I imagine it starts dropping pretty quick after that, so at 200 yards you'd need a bunch of hold-over.

I don't have my handy ballistics program anymore, or I'd plot the drop for you. Anybody know where I can get a shareware ballistics program?

·
Premium Member
17,810 Posts
I've shot at enough clay pigeons at 100 yds. to know for a fact that you will most certainly have to be holding over.

And why is the "glock 40" any different than a Sig 40, a S&W 40, or a CZ 40? All things equal in barrel length, ammo, etc. Each will shoot practically the same.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Back in the day I worked with a guy that had a crossbow that would "shoot flat" out to 100 yards.....and he even offered to prove it. But dang my luck, the day I went to his house to see this gravity defying contraption it just happened to be a "little too windy" for it to work right. I hate it when that happens to me too. :whistle: :cool:

.270Win

Disclaimer: No offense intended to any of our crossbow users on this board.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flyfisherman (Chris Smith) and I were talking to an AGFC WO on Tuesday evening and he avowed as how this was true - both of us were skeptical about it but stopped short of calling him - uh - shall we say we both wanted to say something but held our tongues. The WO was very adamant about saying it was the truth.

Thanks for all the comments - I almost went and bought one the next day! (NOT!) :thumb:

·
Administrator
87,941 Posts
Here's an example of the 200 yard trajectory of a 180 grain 40 caliber bullet starting at 950 FPS, BC=.164, Zero - 25 yards, sight offset .5" above bore.

As you can see in the chart, this bullet drops 74.6" at 200 yards.

Good thing you didn't argue with the fool.

·
Grand Member
15,667 Posts
Anybody that can hit a milk jug at 200 yards with a Glock 40 cal. needs a big salute ! :salute:

And if they did it without any hold over, with a dead on hold, they missed and hit. :smack:

·
Grand Member
15,667 Posts
Oh yeah, it can be done, but the way I took what reflex1 said, that person was talk'n like he could do it about like most folks shoot'n a tin can at 10 steps.

·
Grand Member
15,667 Posts
We used to have a 400 yard range set up, a bunch of us were sighting in rifles at 100 yards when this guy shows up and sees the 400 target. He asked if there were any bullet holes in it yet and we said no. So he raises up and shoots once, offhand, at the 400 yard target. We go check our targets and pull his and he hit it dead center. But when he shot it off the rest at 100 yards he couldn't hit the 2 foot square back stop, turned out his rifle was off by like 3 feet at 100 yards. He'd missed and hit with the first shot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.