Giving guns as gifts?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by drewdunc75, Dec 13, 2010.

1. drewdunc75

drewdunc75 Well-Known Member

So I read the sticky note posted by Mr. C about transfer of firearms, but how does it work if you have a gun that a family member wants and you just want to give them that gun? My father in law really likes one of my pistols and I have two so I just want to give him one. I live here and he lives in Ohio if that matters.

2. loki

loki Well-Known Member

This is something I've wondered about for quite some time. I've also bought and sold and traded guns for the better part of 25 years. What about all those guns I've parted with over the years? They were registered in my name. Are they still registered in my name? I don't have an answer for ya' but I'm hoping someone will respond so I can see where I stand too. :wink:

3. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

That is something that I dont worry about , especially with a family member. If there was a crime committed with a firearm that I previously owned there would be evidence that it was not me. A firearm is just like anything else to me , buy ,sell ,trade, it makes no difference , I dont require a background check.:flag:

4. Mbpike

Mbpike Well-Known Member

That's how I do it. I've sold and bought many guns at shows and never done any paper work