Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
so many things I could say .... but yes obviously scouting.
Listen to this guy. He put me on one of his best stands last year. When I got settled in and started looking around I noticed a bottle of lotion and a cell phone booster. I thought it strange until I began to see a parade of deer, close to 20 total. I started to ask what that was about when I got to the truck but decided to leave it alone. The guy clearly knows what he’s doing.

·
Premium Member
19,062 Posts
Listen to this guy. He put me on one of his best stands last year. When I got settled in and started looking around I noticed a bottle of lotion and a cell phone booster. I thought it strange until I began to see a parade of deer, close to 20 total. I started to ask what that was about when I got to the truck but decided to leave it alone. The guy clearly knows what he’s doing.
🤣🤣🤣
I’m assuming you traded me that cushion for my bottle of lotion. Lotion was missing but I had a new cushion.

·
Registered
805 Posts
take information from everyone and use it to your advantage. I don’t use scent control products but I play the wind and thermals. The big hunting shows that manage hard have lots of goods information that I use on public land and it has worked. Other than that, I don’t use red or green lights but I take my time getting in and out of the stand and scout a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
He put me on a B&C yearling

·
Registered
13,792 Posts
The key to killing big deer consistently is to have access to good Midwestern private property.

I’m an average hunter at best. I’m lazy. I rarely pay attention to the wind. I’m an average at best archer. I get to my stand after daylight. I leave before dark. I play video games on my iPhone in the stand. I make phone calls in my stand.

I’ve got some decent places to hunt, though.

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
Secrets or tricks you ask? Hmmm, hard to say depending on what type of hunting, Public or Private are two different sets of tactics for me. But some that fit both I have found are these.

Watch the weather for sudden and drastic temp changes. Usually, 10 degree's or better.
Know your hunting area better than the deer, scout in Feb to April.
Hunt where big deer roam preferably around large blocks not hunted. National Parks or Thick swamp-type areas.
Hunt Mid-day on a full moon, hunt mid-day during the rut.
Most mature bucks will do the same exact thing each year. It May only be a few days separation but they will show.
Hunt Stands that do not squeak especially in 15-degree temps.
Practice shooting in bulk winter clothes.
Do not shoot quartering to shots. Take your time or pass up, don't shoot risky shots.
Glass mid-summer fields locate potential bucks.
Don't overhunt a stand, can't be stressed enough.
Hunt the wind, if it changes while hunting, just move. Don't educate your buck, just move on that hunt.
Listen on stand, shut your eyes and get in tune with the woods. Pay attention to your ears more than eyes.
Hunt High as you can. 24-30 ft is my preferred height. Practice shooting at these heights.
Talk to non-hunting neighbors and see what they have seen. Especially the mailman or UPS driver or train engineer.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Good advice , all . Public - more hunting pressure = thick stuff - closer ta road . While the others walk on back in = run em by ya . Always , have more than one spot picked out . Just in case . Private - more leeway . Can set up stands / fruit & nut trees / Know the area & deer better . Still hunt ta wind . (flat lands = easier ta do). Hills = wind swirls bad . Sometimes you can hunt the wind - with the right "thermals". Either way . Slow down , get into stand without em , knowing you're there . Scent control - whatever melts your butter . I believe , all the steps done along these lines = weakens your scent signature . Ozonics - has a interesting concept. Deeper pockets required .

21 - 40 of 48 Posts