Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know everyones opinion on this... the other day i pull up to the ramp on public ground. im the 3rd boat to put in. the first 2 boats were together. wo at 4 when we leave i say yall go ahead yall were here first. so we all take off. i could have passed these guys 10 times easily. so we get going throught the woods and they start heading topwards the right and i follow the trail straight. then i hear them coming behind me up the same trail (im guessing they got turned around) then i pull up within 20 yards of where we are actually going to hunt and shut my boat off and start to get out. these guys come right past me and drive into the hole and throw a decoy out... so i decided to be the better person (i have no idea why) and i just go find another spot. but if i were headed to a hole and saw a guy pull up to it and shut his boat off i would have turned around ecspecially after they l;et me go in first. just wanted to know your opinions on this. next time this WILL NOT happen! I should have just set up ringht where i was but didnt see any point in ruining mine and thier hunt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i agree. i guess ill just start keeping a decoy handy like everyone else to throw out as soon as i get to the spot. i guess it just really caught me off gaurd because i was showing these guys respect and letting them go first and never passed them until they started going another direction. thats the kind of stuff that makes u hate public hunting. the people ruin it! looking into trying to get something privated next year. getting tired of the chase

·
Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>www.blackopsduckcalls.c
761 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's this situation or setting up on top of somebody or one of the many other examples. It's this disrespectful and unkind, screw everybody else attitude that is ruining the tradition of duck hunting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's this situation or setting up on top of somebody or one of the many other examples. It's this disrespectful and unkind, screw everybody else attitude that is ruining the tradition of duck hunting.
Agreed. And its unfortunate but at some point these attitudes could get someone badly hurt or killed. One never knows what someone else is thinking or capable of.

Im seriously considering biting the bullet and pay for private grounds for next year, im too old for all the foolishness

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Today we got set up and were getting ready when a boat came thru the woods and motored 30 yds from us. They stopped looked at each other and proceeded 100 yards away. And stopped. We just watched 4 spinners come out of the boat and into the ground. Decoys etc. They didn't blow a call all morning just waited for our swings to come over and check their spinners and shoot at them 2 tree top high. Did it all morning and they killed 3 ducks. We left at nine just because we were so annoyed. I have hunted public timber the last 8 days and have had incidents 5 out of 8. From hole stealing, shooting to flare,to setting up at 100 yds. It never ends and nothing surprises me

·
Registered
348 Posts
Today we got set up and were getting ready when a boat came thru the woods and motored 30 yds from us. They stopped looked at each other and proceeded 100 yards away. And stopped. We just watched 4 spinners come out of the boat and into the ground. Decoys etc. They didn't blow a call all morning just waited for our swings to come over and check their spinners and shoot at them 2 tree top high. Did it all morning and they killed 3 ducks. We left at nine just because we were so annoyed. I have hunted public timber the last 8 days and have had incidents 5 out of 8. From hole stealing, shooting to flare,to setting up at 100 yds. It never ends and nothing surprises me
What is this hole stealing u speak of on public ground?

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Its when you scout a large large large area of public land....you find birds in an area and find a small hole. You hunt the hole and shoot ducks with no one hunting near you. During those days people come to the shooting and motor up thirty yards from you and mark the hole you just made famous. Now guys start showing up super early so you have to move on an find another area....you hunt a couple days and the same thing happens. If you hunt public woods on a high water you will have no problem understanding me.......

·
Registered
549 Posts
That was pretty nice of you to find another spot , especially after letting them go first. A couple of my friends had a bad run in today at a walk in hole. We went yesterday and another group showed up as we were leaving the truck. We agreed to hunt together and had a nice hunt with some good guys. They went back today and were already set up when a different group came in. My friends asked if they wanted to sit with them since the hole isn't very big. The guys declined and said they were going to the other end( which equated to 60 yards). It wound up being a lot of skybusting with no ducks being killed and my friends getting peppered and mad. It is people that act like this that give duck hunters a bad name.

·
Registered
713 Posts
its when you scout a large large large area of public land....you find birds in an area and find a small hole. You hunt the hole and shoot ducks with no one hunting near you. During those days people come to the shooting and motor up thirty yards from you and mark the hole you just made famous. Now guys start showing up super early so you have to move on an find another area....you hunt a couple days and the same thing happens. If you hunt public woods on a high water you will have no problem understanding me.......
x1000000000000000

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It's tough to get up at 3 a.m. just to put up with this kind of crap

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yep u all have very good points. im just glad to know im not the only one that feels this way or runs into these problems. and if the guys had just stopped and said thats the hole we werer headed to i would have just told them to hunt with us.. we had talked to these same guys at the ramp for about 10 minutes before. seemed like real nice guys until its time to go to the hole appariently. Some duck hunters just show their true colors.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My Brother in law and I had something like that happen Saturday morning. I found a little hidy hole away from the madness and been hunting it. Everyday I hunt and shoot more people has been showing up. There aint many holes where Im hunting and people began showing up to the shooting and just winging a spot. Some guys came in about thirty minutes from shooting hours and went on by us up the boat run. They turned around and parked two boats within 50 yards and walked through the woods about 1/2 a 1/4. As the sun come up the ducks began to flare over their boats. I told my BIL that something in their boat was flareing the ducks. The sun came up a little more and it appeared that they had left a thermos with the silver lid sittin on the front deck of the boat. They could have stopped befor they ever got to us and saved a lot of walking. I guess thats what happens on a wing it hunt though. I just dont get the point of ruinnin someone elses hunt. I dont know that it was left there on purpose, but it sure seemed that way.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts