Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. I will say that I see deer in my neighborhood/area every night, and they are starting to range around more here in the last week. They were just browsing in certain areas consistently, but now some oaks have been starting to drop acorns for a little while and they are searching them out in people's yards. They are beginning to shift around due to mast availability.

Depending on your area and its food sources, I would maybe search out the producing oaks for pics/hunting. I should add I've just been seeing does and fawns, no bachelor groups. Just an idea anyway. I know this isn't new info, I just normally think food when I think of early season bucks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just had the opposite problem. I had a group of good bucks come through 2 nights in a row in July and then just disappear. I kept with it though and they all came back Tuesday evening (sept 1). That night one of them lost his velvet and keeps coming back in hard horn. They switch up their ranges when the velvet comes off, so I wouldn't be surprised if several bucks show up in the next couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
29,935 Posts
Never satisfied - I have a bunch of bucks - including a couple decent 125 - 135" and hardly any does. I would not be concerned, except the doe population has been falling every year - as it did again this year. Wide range of variables across this state.:up:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Are you moving it around?
How far do you move it?
Dont get frustrated by it at this point.
Look at where the doe herd is drinking water.
Is there a secondary water source within a mile radius?
If yes maybe scout that area some.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not all deer will be on your camera, doesn't mean there not there or close by.
That is true. The bucks I mentioned earlier haven't been out in daylight. I assumed they were bedding on my neighbors property until dark and then heading to my food. I went out this evening to watch the field and saw one of the bucks come out about 300 yards from my camera and then a group of 7 doe come out about 75 yards from another camera. That was all 30 minutes before dark. According to my cameras, there were no deer out in daylight this evening, but I know that's not true. They almost seem to know where cameras are...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.