Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been duck hunting 5 or 6 years. cut my teeth, if you will, out in the river bottoms around Walker Lake, killing woodies. we would scratch out a mallard or two every now and then. Duck hunting seems to have gotten to me, much like deer hunting has. Bring in a basket racked 12'' 8 point, and people politely say, thats a nice one. But bring in a hoss, and everyone gets excited for ya. same thing in duck hunting. A game carryer full of green will get lots of compliments, but tell someone you got a few woodies and they say, ho hum, ok. This season, i focused mainly on trying to kill "big" ducks, and my season was lacking. killed fewer ducks this year than ever. Well, this last week, my last two hunts, I got back to my "roots". Me and bps12 limited out on woodies again this morning before coming to the station. It was a blast. They may not carry the prestige that a big ol' fat butterball mallard does, but there aint nothing like sharing an early morning cypress brake, with a good buddy, and watching squealers come flying in to your hole, out of control like the "Greatest American Hero". Here's to the most beautiful duck God created.......BG12

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good for yall. I never ever pass the woodies, and don't like to hunt with those that do. I didn't hunt holes much this year and killing a woodie half treetop high at forty mph is a heck of a lot of fun. I didn't take a picture but I left a full load (wad and all) in a tree about the size of my arm this year. No woodie on that one. For that matter, I killed a few gadwalls on a beaver pond all by myself friday afternoon. Had a blast and never saw the first mallard that evening.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Good for yall. I never ever pass the woodies, and don't like to hunt with those that do. I didn't hunt holes much this year and killing a woodie half treetop high at forty mph is a heck of a lot of fun. I didn't take a picture but I left a full load (wad and all) in a tree about the size of my arm this year. No woodie on that one. For that matter, I killed a few gadwalls on a beaver pond all by myself friday afternoon. Had a blast and never saw the first mallard that evening.
Hey Tex, I didn't know that there was anyone else around here (Batesville) that liked to duck hunt. I'm like you I never pass up on anything. I'm just glad to get to go.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How does it go, "you can take the boy out of the woodduck, but you can't take the woodduck out of the boy"--you are allright BG12 no matter what they say about you:thumb: it's all about the fellowship!!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
383 Posts
my best hunt this year was 2 limits of woodies and gadwalls let me tell ya they cup up like the best of them my favorite part is watching the ducks come in. That is why i am a waterfowel hunter:thumb:

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
If it ain't got a green head, it ain't a duck! :thumb: :razz:
Heck, I'd just about as soon shoot a woodrow as any duck.
They are certainly beautiful ducks!
Here's to you, BG12 (Mr. Wood duck killin' and grillin' dude!):biggrin: :twothumbs

·
Registered
383 Posts
heck i have even been known to shoot coots the dog sure does enjoy the retriving:thumb: all species need mangement

·
Registered
172 Posts
well i happen to think wood duck is king..check my screen name! nothing more beautiful than a wood duck!! born and raised in arkie your taught that mallard is king. and i love em.. i always say, no duck strap is complete without a few woodys hanging from it

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
well i happen to think wood duck is king..check my screen name! nothing more beautiful than a wood duck!! born and raised in arkie your taught that mallard is king. and i love em.. i always say, no duck strap is complete without a few woodys hanging from it

I agree with you. I would just as soon kill a wood duck as any other kind of duck. I personally think that a male wood duck is the prettiest of all the ducks. I have a pair of wood ducks mounted and they are beautiful.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I garuantee you these last 2 hunt that Me and BG12 got to go on where a blast. You got to lave a good ole woodrow hunt. I burned a few more shells than Bg did, I let one duck mess up my average. shot at a high one three times. Bg killed 2 with three shots and it took me 7 shots to get my 2 drakes We had a fun time as always finishing out the season. Getting to share these kind of moments are what makes it fun for me. So here's to great traditions and getting back to our roots. :twothumbs

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
5,490 Posts
I love the wood duck shoots just as much as anything. I never pass them up. They taste pretty darned good too. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts