Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure those are the right terms... but I finally got some arrows to shoot out of my recurve and I have noticed at 15 yards the arrow is “pointed” low. I think this is gap shooting. I could see how this might throw you off when shooting at a deer and you feel like you are “aiming” a foot low... what’s the preference here? Move my fingers or just hold low? I have been shooting 2 under 1 over with a tab... thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
3 fingers under works best for me, I shoot instinctive. String walking works alot better with a compound. I met a guy once that was a string walker. He'd hold three fingers under and use his fingers for distance. If it was 20 yards he would move his hold down one finger 30 yards two fingers, and so on. He'd use his thumb to mark the spot on the string and move his hold down to under that spot. I done it and it works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Check out the Push archery videos on YouTube. They have some awesome info on different shooting styles and cover string walking in depth. Clay Hayes also has great info on shooting styles. I shoot a combination of gap shooting and instinctive. I think string walking would be the most accurate method but I hate the way it feels drawing a bow while string walking

·
Grand Member
15,930 Posts
When I shot traditional bow I shot instinctive, bare bow off the shelf, split finger. When I first started traditional it took me about 3 or 4 months of shooting 4 or 5 times a week. I'd do good, then I do so bad I wanted to wrap that bow around a tree, but then one day it clicked. I don't know what clicked, but like riding a bike, it just worked. From then on there was no aiming, no judging distance, it was just pull back and release. Like when throwing a ball, you don't think about distance or holding over or under, you just draw back and do it. Subconsciously you may be doing it, but I never thought about it. I could hit very well, even moving targets. What I couldn't do was hold the bow at full draw, even for a split second. I had to draw, reach my anchor point and instantly release. If I did that I was good. It didn't matter if it was my recurve or my longbow. If I shot regularly I was better, but if I laid off a while it came back really fast when I went to shooting again. Like riding a bike or throwing a ball. I haven't shot a bow in over 6 years, bad shoulder, but I have confidence that if my shoulder was miraculously healed tonight, I could pick up one of my bows and be back to shooting again in short order.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I’m not sure those are the right terms... but I finally got some arrows to shoot out of my recurve and I have noticed at 15 yards the arrow is “pointed” low. I think this is gap shooting. I could see how this might throw you off when shooting at a deer and you feel like you are “aiming” a foot low... what’s the preference here? Move my fingers or just hold low? I have been shooting 2 under 1 over with a tab... thanks for all the help!
I am a gap shooter. I’ve tried sting walking but gap works best for me. Shooting 3 under will help with the problem of having to aim low. Diffidently look up up Clay Hayes and The Push Archery on YouTube. Those are two of the best traditional archery channels I know of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.