Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the numbers are out and i'm sure everyone wants to know why its so low. G & F used the oldest excuse in book "the weather''. 10% of harvest went to youth hunters in 2 days. they refuse to take blame for late season opening-low kill, not even a mention or possibility.yes they made a huge blunder opening season late and letting youth hunt first instead of last. i think we need them to WAKE UP and start mananging with a solid plan to stablize our turkey flocks. I would like to see a 1 gobbler limit with season opening the first week of april UNTIL the flocks improve. keep the youth hunt but move it later.I'm for a quality hunting season even if it is one bird limit:spam:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
As far as the late date for opening I agree. But I strongly disagree in the part where you want to put the youth last. I'm sorry but I think it is very selfish for a grown man to want to go first before a young hunter. That's not the way I was brought up. I think a young person should always be accounted for first before a supposedly grownup.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
As far as the late date for opening I agree. But I strongly disagree in the part where you want to put the youth last. I'm sorry but I think it is very selfish for a grown man to want to go first before a young hunter. That's not the way I was brought up. I think a young person should always be accounted for first before a supposedly grownup.
:up:

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
:up::up:

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
I'm not really for a one bird limit...but I could be...especially since I didn't even see "one bird" that was legal to shoot last year outta all my days hunting.

Perhaps the AGFC higher-ups should get out from behind their desks in Little Rock and do something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
:up::up::up::up::up::up:

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
First of all, even tho the G&F has reacted poorly to turkey number problems they are not the primary problem. We have had 5 or 6 bad hatches in a row...that's problem #1. Problem # 2 fur prices stink, Coon, Coyote and other predator populations are HIGH.

Lowering the kill is good when the populations are down, we can all agree on that. How they accomplished it this year (season start so late that the birds were basically done in south AR) is not good. It will lead to lower hunter numbers in the future and less revenue.

IMO an early 2 week, no jake season with a one bird limit would be a start. If successful the next year could remain 2 weeks but add a second bird only in the second week, and advance from there as bird numbers increase.

My fear is that whatever method is used will be set in stone and remain in place long after the turkey flock has recovered.

hd

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it seems several are upset by mention of ''later youth hunt''- no surprise if the same would back march 24-25 for youth hunt and our opening APRIL 1st of main season. i am NOT against the youth hunt, i said that. i am FOR having my season open on time regardless:clap:

·
11,530 Posts
it seems several are upset by mention of ''later youth hunt''- no surprise if the same would back march 24-25 for youth hunt and our opening APRIL 1st of main season. i am NOT against the youth hunt, i said that. i am FOR having my season open on time regardless:clap:
I can go along with that :up: If numbers are down we just don't need to kill jakes :hide:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Seems like you want the best of both worlds. You want to get out before the hens are bred and shoot the gobblers, but you also want there to be more birds. You can have one or the other, but having both is very difficult and relies on there being good hatches every year. If you think that putting a one bird limit on an eariler season so that way more birds are killed is a good way to increase the flock, you head is buried in the sand. The only way to increase the number of birds is to allow for the hens to be bred, by not hunting the gobblers before they have a chance to breed, and then rely on the weather to allow a good hatch. By opening season the first of April every year, many more birds will be killed and that leaves less to reproduce. If you want to go kill birds on April 1st every year, go buy an Alabama license. But if you want more birds in AR, you will just have to put up with a few bad years in order to reap the benifits of a bigger flock.

·
11,530 Posts
Seems like you want the best of both worlds. You want to get out before the hens are bred and shoot the gobblers, but you also want there to be more birds. You can have one or the other, but having both is very difficult and relies on there being good hatches every year. If you think that putting a one bird limit on an eariler season so that way more birds are killed is a good way to increase the flock, you head is buried in the sand. The only way to increase the number of birds is to allow for the hens to be bred, by not hunting the gobblers before they have a chance to breed, and then rely on the weather to allow a good hatch. By opening season the first of April every year, many more birds will be killed and that leaves less to reproduce. If you want to go kill birds on April 1st every year, go buy an Alabama license. But if you want more birds in AR, you will just have to put up with a few bad years in order to reap the benifits of a bigger flock.

Your right and I will be in AL or MS on March 15th. :clap:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.