Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my calendar from Game and Fish. On the inside page the editor admits they didn't focus on "icons." Thats what he called the things we hunt and fish for. Then bragged about pictures of bugs and lizards. How long will it be before they change the name to the Bug and Lizard commission?? :banghead:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same reaction, Hogs. Tossed it in the trash. It wasnt about to go on our wall b/c even the game species pix were mostly just average. Gobblers were good but the rest were so-so. Never thot I'd say that about the Fish and Game calendar.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I got mine on Thursday or Friday (can't remember which), and as I was flipping through it and came across that picture and was gripping about it to my wife. Now, my wife does not hunt at all, and even she couldn't believe that they would put something like that in the calender. I however did enjoy the pictures of the deer, ducks, and turkey's.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
they didn't have enough money left over to do a decent calendar, after........................

Paying for Steve 'wildman' Wilson's ..............

Brand new Dodge Dakota.....Pinted with Nat-Gear Camo and Talkin Arkansas Outdoors Stickers all over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May be sooner than we know...:rolleyes:

Our Director of AGFC school bio...

"1970 graduate of Arkansas State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in zoology."

That explains alot. In redneck language, zoology means learning about animals. Biology means managing them. That's a big difference when the director isn't a biologist. So we get calendars with insect pictures paid for by HUNTERS from our license sales. I bet the butterfly lovers sure are happy. G+F sure acts like they are biting the hand that feeds them doing stuff like this.

Have they ever had a director before this that wasnt a biologist? :confused:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I have no problem with the pictures in the calander depicting the seasons, even monthly changes. Fish, turkey, deer, bear, elk, alligator, predators, duck, geese and yes, even birds, reptiles and insects. Some of the pictures are soft in the focus or grainy. Blowing a picture up should not detract from clarity. I am sure there are folks who would send them a picture to print. Maybe some hunting scenes of the duck woods, or a gobbler strutting in, maybe a kid kneeling over his/her first kill. I didn't care for the skink and friends but the rest I had no problem with other than quality on some. As a person who enjoys the outdoors year round whether working on trails, stands, food plots and feeders or just taking pictures of wildlife, insects, reptiles and birds I have no problem with the layout. As much as we may not like it and the direction the magazine seems to be headed, the publication is not paid for with your license money but by subscription.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That explains alot. In redneck language, zoology means learning about animals. Biology means managing them. That's a big difference when the director isn't a biologist. So we get calendars with insect pictures paid for by HUNTERS from our license sales. I bet the butterfly lovers sure are happy. G+F sure acts like they are biting the hand that feeds them doing stuff like this.

Have they ever had a director before this that wasnt a biologist? :confused:
So in redneck language is a surgeon a doctor?

Zoology is a specialty just like different types of doctors still get the same MD degree and then specialize.

A zoologist is a biologist.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Zoologists are biological scientists who study animals. They observe animals both in their natural habitats and in the laboratory in order to learn as much as possible about animal life. Zoologists study the origin and development of animal species, the habits and behavior of animals, and the interaction between animals and their environment. They also do research to learn how animal diseases develop and how traits are passed from generation to generation.

Zoologists are sometimes known as animal scientists or animal biologists. Their field is zoology, or animal biology. Like botany and microbiology, zoology is a major division of biology. Zoology is a broad field. It includes the study of animals as varied as elephants, kangaroos, and killer sharks. Zoologists work in all areas of animal life, studying both simple and complex processes. For example, a zoologist might examine the overall structure of a cat or just the microscopic cells in its brain. Zoologists study the life functions of a single animal, such as an insect, as well as the behavior of whole colonies of ants, flocks of birds, or bands of gorillas.

Most zoologists are employed by colleges and universities where they teach and do research. Large numbers of zoologists work for government agencies in such areas as wildlife management, conservation, and agriculture. A few work for private companies, such as pharmaceutical companies or biological supply houses that sell animal specimens to laboratories. Some zoologists are employed by museums and zoos.

Although their jobs may differ widely, most zoologists spend at least part of their time doing research or laboratory work. They dissect and examine animal specimens. They prepare slides so that they can observe such things as diseased tissue and chemical reactions under light or electron microscopes. Since they often perform experiments with animals, many zoologists keep laboratory animals, such as mice, fruit flies, and guinea pigs. They may breed these animals, raise their offspring under controlled conditions, or test the effects of drugs on them. Some zoologists observe animals in their natural habitats. These zoologists study mating practices, aggression, life histories, and the group behavior of animals. Zoologists may make use of computerized information as well as a wide variety of special laboratory equipment and scientific methods. They are sometimes assisted by biological technicians.

(Sounds relevant to me.) :whistle:

It does surprise me that he only has a Bachelor of Science degree, though. Most of the time you don't land jobs like that in the field of biology without post graduate work.

But, he has worked at AGFC since 1972. 16 years as assistant director.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Zoologists study the life functions of a single animal, such as an insect, as well as the behavior of whole colonies of ants, flocks of birds, or bands of gorillas
Quoted from your own previous post...
As I said...NOT a"Wildlife Biologist"....not even close...:wink:

Our Directors work history....
1970 graduate of Arkansas State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in zoology.

1970-72: Taught high school chemistry and biology in Melbourne, Fla.

1972 - Began career with the AGFC as a fish truck driver at the Joe Hogan State Fish Hatchery in Lonoke.

Has served as a fisheries research biologist, assistant chief of fisheries, chief of fisheries and was promoted in 1987 to assistant director.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, I have a degree in biology and chemistry, and I can tell you that there are zoologists that are well qualified in wildlife biology. Zoology encompasses a wide range of disciplines.

I'm not saying every zoologist is qualified in wildlife biology, just as in any field there is a great diversity in specialties.

Just sayin. :wink:

I don't know whether our commissioner is well qualified, or not, but he has served AFGC for a lot of years, and some things come through experience, and not necessarily book learnin.

He must have impressed some people to move up through the ranks with a bachelors degree.

·
Banned
6,918 Posts
Whatever he might have learned in school, he still can't play poker worth a dern! Can Ya, college boy!!!!!! :fit:

Been waiting to say that in public for a long time! He He. I did enjoy that $80 I took from you though.

Dont worry, I wont tell anyone what "else" happened at that particular G&F get-together!

Oh the stories I could tell.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Quoted from your own previous post...
As I said...NOT a"Wildlife Biologist"....not even close...:wink:

Our Directors work history....
1970 graduate of Arkansas State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in zoology.

1970-72: Taught high school chemistry and biology in Melbourne, Fla.

1972 - Began career with the AGFC as a fish truck driver at the Joe Hogan State Fish Hatchery in Lonoke.

Has served as a fisheries research biologist, assistant chief of fisheries, chief of fisheries and was promoted in 1987 to assistant director.
Looks like he has a very well rounded background. Should serve him well in that position.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.