Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you use a trolling motor mounted transducer for your depth finder. Ive only had a transom mounted one. If you have one on the trolling motor does it show whats out in front of you instead of where you have already been? Any other pros or cons?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
On my skeeter I have one on the back for running and one on the trolling motor for fishing. On my jon boat I only have a transducer on my trolling motor. This alows me to see what is directly under the trolling motor and in a sense what is under my feet. If you are using a transom mount you will already be past the object before you see it.

water depth is also a variable. The transducer shoots out a beam that is cone shape. This cone could be seen as if you were holding a flashlight aimed at a wall. The further away the larger the area that will be shown by the cone of light. The closer to the wall the smaller teh cone coverage. That translates easily to what your transducer is doing only straight down.

If you are in less than 10 feet of water you will have a narrow view of what is down there. Chances are if you see a brushpile it is right below your feet right now. Picking up the same brushpile with a rear transducer and you will have to circle back and try to find where it is again since you have already passed it. If you are in 30' of water that brush pile could be anywher from a little in front of the boat to just a little behind or off a little to either side. Remember think of a flashlight beam shining on a wall from different distances.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It depends. I have one on both too. If I'm on unfamiliar territory then the one on the back shows me depth as I go down the river or lake and points out drop offs and structure. I've also had it tell me to slow my butt down because I was unexpectedly in shallow water.

When fishing, the one on the trolling motor is helpful. Mine is a down imaging one so I get really good detail of structure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts