Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like a natural slate or a good box call. Lot's of brands work.
You are right....lots of brands work. But I know on some of the friction (pan) calls I've bought, didn't sound good at all. Did any of ya'll get that 4x4 thing with the 4 different matierials on one call back a few years ago? I bought one of those when they came out and it sounds horrible!!! I never took it to the woods. For the most part though, they sound good...but every once in a while, there will be one that souds terrible. Anyway, ya'll keep em coming!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
Dang John! Think my face is turnin redder that a better boy t'mater:eek:
Thanks for the compliment:thumb:
Mike
I cain't help but tell the truth....I saw a group of turkeys across a mans field...couldnt tell what they were it was so far off, but just a few scratches on your caller had two gobblers and a hen within good shooting range...but it wasn't part of my hunting allowance:wink: One old hen with a beard kept me real busy on our place...ever time I called...here she come just yelpin like crazy!:up:

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Woodhaven makes some good sounding friction calls as well. I've got a slate and my buddy has a crystal and there are different things that I like about each one of them.
I've even got an old cheap beard busters slate that sounds dang good with the right striker.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like we have a few Double M fans out there! Hey double M, can you give us some prices of your calls, or do you have a website or anything? I might be interested in a call! :up: I also like that you are on this site! :up:

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
The old yeller was also a good and inexpensive call, but not sure if they make them anymore.
+1 on that. I love Ol' Yeller. I called in my first bird with it. He had a 12.75" beard and won my a Beretta shotgun, so I have some serious emotional attachment to that call.
I usually carry Ol Yeller and a Primos Power Slate.
Box calls, I usually carry my Lynch Fool Proof and a Quaker Boy.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
Double M Custom Calls: [email protected] or PM him. He's on this site as DoubleM:up: With just the lightest pressure, my Doble M Custom call emits a loud yelp, soft purrs and clucks, squeals etc. You won't be disappointed. There was some pictures in the contest where I won the caller, but they were deleted.:confused: :wink:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,230 Posts
I absolutely HATE box calls, unless its a real windy day and u gotta reach out there to em! Otherwise...i leave it in the vest..i might use mine maybe 5 times a season! But as far as slates go the ol alluminator was a great soundin call, not sure who makes em tho! I also just recently bought a Knight and Hales Silver Hammer! AND I LOVE IT!:thumb: its stupid proof

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Double M Custom Calls: [email protected] or PM him. He's on this site as DoubleM With just the lightest pressure, my Doble M Custom call emits a loud yelp, soft purrs and clucks, squeals etc. You won't be disappointed. There was some pictures in the contest where I won the caller, but they were deleted.:confused:
Thanks John! :up:

Maybe he will be back on here shortly and answer my question on this thread so others can see it. I'm sure there are some others out there that are interested and are just watching this thread. Maybe he could even give us a AH.net one time special or something. :rolleyes: :whistle: :thumb:

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Some of yall might laugh but one of the best sounding slates that I have, even though it technically isnt slate, is The Freak by Primos.
The old yeller was also a good and inexpensive call, but not sure if they make them anymore.
I have the Feak and Crystal Freak and have actually had the most luck with these calls the past few years. Killed 5 birds the first year I had one (AR and Mississippi) and a couple in 06 and 2 in 07 with the Freak and 1 so far this year. I've also killed several birds with the Ol' Yeller and it is a good sounding call too. I like the Primos Freak calls b/c of the leg strap, it makes it really convenient to use while sitting waiting on a bird...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.