Free Antivirus Software

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by BillF, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BillF

BillF Well-Known Member

Did I dream this or do I remember some of you guys talking about some free anti-virus software that was actually better that Symantec? If so what is the name of it? Symantec finds and quarantines a virus on my PC but can not remove it. And my dang icons keep disappearing! Help!:mad:

2. Gruntcall

Gruntcall Well-Known Member

AVG Free Edition is pretty darn good.:thumb:

3. rjet

rjet Well-Known Member

AVG

http://www.grisoft.com/

I was told that you get a better service by getting the subscription. I use it and it is a lot better than mcafee or symantec.

4. BillF

BillF Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

5. xtremebowhunter

xtremebowhunter Well-Known Member

www.avast.com
    the best by far that I have found and the only one that will truly kill the trajan virus

6. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Well-Known Member

I've been pleased w/ the free version of AVG anti-virus.

Tommy

7. ryanh_johnson

ryanh_johnson Well-Known Member

Well I know everyone has their own opinions.....but AVG will more than you think.

As someone who works with/on computers on an everyday basis....symantec is one of the best ones out there. Although I understand some of you dont like it!

8. Jed A

Jed A Well-Known Member

I have used avast and avg and have been happy with both.

I have to pick what to put on my new laptop once the free norton (which is symantic isn't it?) subscription runs out. I don't like it because everything runs better and startup seems to be much quicker without it. That may be in my head. I think I will time startup and then delete it and time it again. I have no complaints about it's virus scanning abilities though.

9. ryanh_johnson

ryanh_johnson Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. That is a Symantec product. And yes I"m sure it does take a little longer to boot up. It's doing a check as its booting up.

I guess something I have to keep into consideration also, I use the corporate version of symantec, so its a little different than what you all are used to using and seeing.

10. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

You've had a lot better experience with it than I did, I'm currently using AVG.

11. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

I can tell you that I have used all of the ones listed so far. Both in a corporate and personal way. I will also tell you, based on experience that Trend Micro has the better product. No, it isn't free, but the service is there if you have a problem and need help. I have submitted several viruses to Trend that I have removed in the Field and they were all added to the anti virus program within a couple of hours. With Symantec, I was on hold and told that consumers couldn't submit viruses without a premium service contract.

Now for the bad news, the reason why that your symantec cannot remove the virus is:

1. Symantec sucks
    2. Symantec has always sucked
    3. Symantec cannot remove viruses or spyware that are running.
    4. It is easy for a virus to infect and disable Symantec (Personal and home versions)
    5. Symantec is creating a big stir right now with user renewals. taking peoples money through the program for renewals and then saying they never purchased them.
    6. Norton is symantec
    7. This is the reason Peter Norton broke ties with Symantec. Legally, they can still name the product after him though.

I could go on, but you get the point.

My advice, if you want the virus removed. Take it to someone that can fix your PC, then put another program on it.

In the short term, I recommend that you go to housecall.antivirus.com and run the free online scan. It may not be able to remove it, but it may give you the instructions that you will need to remove it yourself, depending on the virus.

Good luck.

12. BillF

BillF Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try some of this stuff when I get home from work. And your right Cjdavis618. Symantec is junk. I have the corporate version at home and it still can't fix my virus. It's about time to get a new PC anyway but in the meantime it sure is frustrating loosing all my icons a lot of the times when I close out of programs.

13. popgun

popgun Well-Known Member

Trend Micro PCcillin is what I have now and would never go back to Norton Symantec.
    Thanks to Cjdavis I was able to recover everything I thought I had lost when my hard drive went south.
    He recommended PCcillin and so has Kim Komando.

Another big problem came up when I attempted to delete Norton Anti-virus Symantec.
    It was explained to me that the antivirus ware wraps itself around almost every program you have and it is hard to delete unless you know how.
    I didn't evidently know how.
    You can loose the use of many of your programs while attempting to delete the Norton.
    cj wasn't available and I was able to find another guru to delete the Norton and install the PCcillin. It took him about four hours but got er done.
    Be careful trying to delete the Symantec Norton Antivirus program.
    ....popgun

14. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

Hey popgun. Glad to hear that it is taking good care of you. :thumb:

Anytime you get stuck on something, give me a call on my cell if you need to. You can always get me there. About how long ago was your problem? I have been traveling alot out of state recently, that may have been why you couldn't catch me.

Good thing about the PC cillin is that you buy it once for $49 and it covers 3 PCs. That is great for people that have more than one in the home, or a laptop for travel. Takes care of spam, Anti Virus and Spyware. Not to mention remote file lock and some other useful features it has.

I sound like a salesman, to an extent I am, but I only sell products that work. Trend works and works very well.

15. popgun

popgun Well-Known Member

Oct. 8 was when I got the problem cleared up. Don't worry, I still have your number and will call if I have any more problems. Too bad Kim Komando don't make housecalls. (She's a whole lot better lookin' than you.)

If this covers 3 computers, I can give one to BillF if I can just figure out how to find that control number (or whatever it's called).

....popgun

16. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

I agree. Norton and McAfee are in the same boat. As far as free, I use Adaware.

http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

17. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Symantec is about the worst of the "major players".... lots of corrupt files, misfires, missed viruses, etc.

AVG is the way to go...

Or get a Macintosh and not have to worry about antivirus....

18. Gruntcall

Gruntcall Well-Known Member

19. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Well-Known Member

Asa I understand matters, Ad-Aware is spy-bot scanner and elimination software. It nabs "cookies" and other key-logging files that some web sites put in your computer. All cookies aren't bad, e.g. most forums install one so you it can tell your last visit, so topics or new posts can be "flagged" or shown as new. If you delete it w/ Ad-Aware, no biggie really, you'll likely have to log in again next time you visit that forum and all the posts may show up as "new". Then all will be "normal" again.

I think the older version of Ad-Aware, that is Ad-Aware 6, is better than Ad-Aware 7. The authors keep both "up to date" still. Many folks had problems w/ version 7. I run version 6.

"Spybot Search and Destroy" is similar but it is a finds actual programs that track and report your computer and web-surfing info. to third parties..:mad:

I run both every week or 10 days, and usually nab several ditties.

Norton seemed to be a real memory hog. I removed mine. There are tool on the Norton site to help remove it (well, I assume it's gone anyways!) McAffey (spelling?) gives a lot of folks with Dell computers problems (including me). I've been pleased w/ the free version of AVG anti-virus.

Tommy

20. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Got to thinking about it after post. Not anti-virus, but clears out all of the garbage that Norton never did.