Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I didnt do it but my brother did. A farmer lives behind me, Jerry Gilliam, and theres always deer eating in his fields. I actually hunt the same herd when they cross onto my land. He's a super nice guy. Well my brother was coming to our house for Christmas and he seen two trucks pulled over on the side of the road. He looked out into the field and seen 3 deer. One really good buck and two does eating standing beans. He then looked back at the truck and seen a rifle with a scope sticking out the window. He called the cops and tried getting a plate number but they took off. He said if he hadnt had his family with him he would of done more. Well I got pissed and grabed my peace maker and took off. I didnt find em but the cops were around. The truck was a red 90's model chevy extened cap that had a new matress in the back like they got for christmas. :smack:

It sounds like someone was trying to start alittle early on the gun hunt!!!!!:mad:

Any of my NEA boys that know who this might of been let me know!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No Mossy its not illegal till they fire a shot. I learned this a few years ago when the GW stopped me for doning the same thing. I had enough since to take the bolt out of my rifle first. I was just glassing a buck when he rolled up behind me a hit the blues. He said its not illegal to look at them through your scope but its not a good idea if you know what I mean. Like I said I had removed the bolt and he just told me to have a nice day and be carefull.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Mossy its not illegal till they fire a shot. I learned this a few years ago when the GW stopped me for doning the same thing. I had enough since to take the bolt out of my rifle first. I was just glassing a buck when he rolled up behind me a hit the blues. He said its not illegal to look at them through your scope but its not a good idea if you know what I mean. Like I said I had removed the bolt and he just told me to have a nice day and be carefull.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, like I said I didnt know for sure or not. I dont think these guys were just glassing him though but I could be wrong about that also.lol

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I have been questioned by a gw for glassing deer with an unloaded rifle on the side of the road. He told me the being on the shoulder was the illegal part. He thought he was going to write me a ticket till my gun was unloaded and I had no ammo in the front of the truck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is illegal to point, shoot or hunt from any county, state or federally maintain road. It does not say loaded or unloaded, either way why stir up a commotion and just use binoculars of some sort. The other person might just be thinking you are road hunting and dont know any better. Just saying!

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Sorry, but if anyone ever got a ticket for "looking at a deer" through their scope on the side of the road even though they had no intentions of shooting... I think my reply would have to be "Well, that's what you get for being stupid."

Same reason I dont hang around bars or cheap motels with loose women. I could try telling my wife "Oh Honey, I was just talking to them." It aint gonna fly.

Then the whole safety aspect. You'd get hot every time you heard about someone using their rifle scope as a binocular if you've ever been scoped that way.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Sorry, but if anyone ever got a ticket for "looking at a deer" through their scope on the side of the road even though they had no intentions of shooting... I think my reply would have to be "Well, that's what you get for being stupid."

Same reason I dont hang around bars or cheap motels with loose women. I could try telling my wife "Oh Honey, I was just talking to them." It aint gonna fly.

Then the whole safety aspect. You'd get hot every time you heard about someone using their rifle scope as a binocular if you've ever been scoped that way.
hobbs, that might be one of the best analogies i have ever seen on this site!!! i couldnt agree with you more!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My cousin got a ticket for the exact thing last weekend. Wrote him for road hunting.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
01.00-F PRIMA FACIE EVIDENCE. The possession of any tackle or killing device in
fields, forests, along streams or in any location known to be game cover, may
be considered along with other evidence as prima facie evidence that the
possessor is hunting or fishing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts