Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While chasing pigs this weekend on the lease, we were easing down the side of a thicket, when we came upon two orange flags and small pine tree with "54" painted on it, in orange. It had been done just recently, and is on Plum Creeks land. Nothing else was numbered that I could tell, and in my semi-moderate knowledge of forestry I can not think of anything that it could mean, anyone else know?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Look on the bright side, in just a few years you will have one heck of a bedding area! You may have to put up telephone poles to give the turkeys something to roost on.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Clearcuts are good for deer.It creates fresh browse the following year.Then in 2or3 years bedding areas.And if your having a slow hunt,sometimes you can walk and kick em up and shoot em.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Clearcuts are good for deer.It creates fresh browse the following year.Then in 2or3 years bedding areas.And if your having a slow hunt,sometimes you can walk and kick em up and shoot em.
Kind of like what some folks do with dogs????????????????????:smack:

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt its a clearcut marking, they do them in blue. Surveyor marker makes sense, i think they do thier inventory this time of year

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
In clear cutting they won't paint anything ....just show up and cut.

Thinning or selective will have blue slashes on trees to be cut.

Most likely as huntbigbucs said inventory. Or they may going to survey to split the deeds.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Young clearcuts do make good deer habitat and the slightly older cuts make good bedding spots but how do you hunt if there's not a food source (such as some hardwood trees) within 3 or 4 miles of the area? That's the problem most of us in South Arkansas are facing these days.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Young clearcuts do make good deer habitat and the slightly older cuts make good bedding spots but how do you hunt if there's not a food source (such as some hardwood trees) within 3 or 4 miles of the area? That's the problem most of us in South Arkansas are facing these days.
Food sources abound everywhere, even in south Arkansas. When you say hardwood trees I assume you are referring to oaks. Oak are a very limited food source, only offerring food for a limited amount of time. Deer are much more dependent on other sources for survival. Some sources are more palatable than others; but many herbaceous, hard mast, soft mast, browse, and artificial sources exist in south Arkansas. Oak trees also still exist in south Arkansas.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,832 Posts
While chasing pigs this weekend on the lease, we were easing down the side of a thicket, when we came upon two orange flags and small pine tree with "54" painted on it, in orange. It had been done just recently, and is on Plum Creeks land. Nothing else was numbered that I could tell, and in my semi-moderate knowledge of forestry I can not think of anything that it could mean, anyone else know?
That's the 54th "roost tree" they are leaving, in order to keep the environmentalists off their back while they clearcut the other 54 million!:wink:

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
You don't see many squirrels or turkeys killed in 2 - 15 year old pine thickets/plantations. Despite popular belief, deer aren't the only game animal in Arkansas.
It's true that there's a lot more food for wildlife than just acorns but it's been my observation that wildlife seems to be in much more abundance in the years following good mast crops than when acorns are scarce. This does seems to be more so with squirrels and turkeys than deer, however.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It's true that there's a lot more food for wildlife than just acorns
...but, I think it would be a short-cut if anyone tends to discount the importance of the mast crop in the well being of a deer herd.

The mast crop (acorns that is) will have a huge effect on how the deer come through the extended winter months...and will also show up in the antler scores for the next seasons go-round.

As Arkie_3_fan said...pine cones just don't do that...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
No doubt acorns play a role in the diet of deer. What I am surprised at is the people that think acorns are produced and in abundance 365 days a year.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts