For those that live in Beebe city limits.

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by Cjdavis618, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

City council is meeting on Monday evening to discuss banning the discharge of firearms in city limits and also banning having any fowl in your yard as well.

For those of us that were annexed in that had hunting land and livestock in the area that is now city property, that means you. I will be there to give my Nay on that Monday.

So much for a small town rural community.

2. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    I will be there. I am in the process of clearing a place to raise some chickens and quail. I don't see any reason for them to ban the discharge of firearms either even though I rarely do it.
    I did not think that the residents of the city should have been voting on the annex in the first place. I thought that should be left up to the people living in the proposed area.

3. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this is a sneaky way of finally getting rid of the Flea Market just in time for Walmart to open up. You got some uppity dipsticks running the show down there, good luck!

4. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Your dad is not in city limits is he?

5. Cjdavis618

I wouldn't doubt it. Just last year they started writing tickets to those that had a yard sale without a city permit. $10 to have a yardsale now here.

6. Cjdavis618

That annex was a shady deal anyway. They broke the state laws by not advertising it completely 30 days before the vote. (Conveniently, our city and city paper forgot to post full and only prints newspapers on Thursdays). I found out about it in the Cabot paper a week prior to the elections. The surrounding people that were about to get annexed didn't get a chance to say anything and probably didn't know. That is why we had such a low turnout. The vote was like 80% to 20% or something close to that.

State law says that in order to challenge an Annex, you have up to 30 days after the annexation and the decisions weigh heavily over the growth of the city over the needs of the annexed. Beyond that, the annexation cannot be undone.

Here is a link for reference. http://opinions.aoc.arkansas.gov/WebLink8/0/doc/253121/Electronic.aspx

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

Beebe is gonna miss the money that flea market generates every saturday, there are a lot of people that come there and have been for years just for that. They buy gas in town and eat in town and some of them even get a motel room.

8. Billy Joe

Billy Joe Well-Known Member

are they intending to shut down the flea market? I HOPE NOT!!

9. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

He's still outside, for now. My brother is though, I'm gonna tell him about it.

10. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

Yep, instead of embracing the money bought in each week and trying to help increase it, they're(the mayor) busy calling the patrons a "nothing but a bunch of rednecks". I know numerous multi-millionares that don't miss a saturday morning at the flee market!

11. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

They're wanting to eventually. This is just one nail that might help do it.

12. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself a redneck but the flea market is the only reason I come to beebe.

13. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

Might need to make yourself a shirt stating that, just in case the redneck patrol down there in Beebe decide to run you out of town!:biggrin:

14. Cjdavis618

Just a reminder, 6:30 at city hall.

I'll be in a green polo polo shirt and have a "Padfolio" writing pad as my son calls it.. lol. Say hi if your there.

15. giggity

giggity Well-Known Member

Thank God i live in Garner :)

16. popgun

popgun Well-Known Member

No permits are needed to have a garage or yard sale in Beebe. No tickets have been issued unless someone opened a new flea market without a permit.

17. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

You don't have many chances to say that! :fit:

18. Cjdavis618

It's not about flea markets yet. But if you open one you will still require a business license.

As for yard sales, that was a topic in the local newspaper a year or so ago that mentioned a permit fee because there were so many that were turning into a weekly ordeal as a secondary source of income. It was shortly before the HWY 64 Highway of yardsales kicked in.

It may have well been a proposed council issue, but the topic was a $10 permit for a yardsale.

I'll see if I can find that and repost it.

Are you going tonight Popgun?

19. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    That's the way they do it in Jonesboro too. That way they have tens of thousands of city resident voters voting against maybe a few hundred that may be annexed. I hate to hear about the flea market. I know several folks from Jonesboro who go down there. I was planning on checking it out this spring myself.

20. Cjdavis618

It'll probably still be here this spring..

I would hope they wouldn't have officers that are issuing tickets for that. As for the permits on yard sales, I can't get into the online paper here to search and my subscription is not active yet. I stand corrected.

When I can get into the local paper archives, I will find it.