Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. How the you aquire private land to hunt? Stratagies, how far in advance you get permission, etc.

I have hunted MO with a couple of guys several times but somebody in the group always knew somebody. It seemed like when we got permission on one piece of property it snowballed and more farmers kept giving us permission. Does it usually happen this way?

Anyways, after our disappointing trip to the 'no liecense selling state of MO' this year we got to talking about where we are going next year; probable in addition to MO. We really just want to hunt something other than easterns. We have talked KS, SD, TX, NE. Any other state recommendations?

·
Premium Member
18,017 Posts
Do you get shot down a lot?
Most places there are a lot more nos than yeses. Keep a smile on your face, be courteous, and try again next year.

Some hints...don't show up in camo ready to hunt. Dress in casual, but nice looking clothes. Be willing to offer help out around the farm...that day if necessary. Be willing to share meat from any game killed.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
If you find a place to hunt, treat every square inch of it like your own front yard. Do you throw trash in your front yard, do you drive across it with your truck? I got kicked off my Missouri hunting cause the guy couldn't figure out who was doing stuff he didn't want and who wasn't, so it was easier to get rid of everybody.

·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you say Mo. no license state???????
Because I went to MO to hunt for their last four days of season but I could buy a license because the deadline to buy it was on the 5th day before the close of season. I would have been nice for them to post it somewhere. I couldn't find it in the regulations book and anybody that had even heard of such.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Because I went to MO to hunt for their last four days of season but I could buy a license because the deadline to buy it was on the 5th day before the close of season. I would have been nice for them to post it somewhere. I couldn't find it in the regulations book and anybody that had even heard of such.
I will ask a local warden about this. I haven't ever heard of it.

·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We thought it was just the lady at Wal-Mart didn't know what she was talking about at first but then we called the 'buy over the phone' number and they told us the same thing.

Thanks for the offer. We got permission on about another 1000 acres this year plus a guy showed us some good public land as well. So we have several thousand acres that we have permission to hunt up there now. We just want to try another species next year as an added bonus.

·
Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
Check out western Ok.........Lots of birds and not the numbers of hunters as in some of the more popular states..............locals are more likely to say yes..........Tips........I have had good luck finding new areas by finding and hanging out at the local early morning cafes..........local farmers or ranchers gather at these places for coffee and such and it is not that difficult to make new friends. Its always hard to find new places when looking for a place for a group. Keep your party numbers low, one or two at the most. I have found that it is better to look for new places to hunt next year, while hunting this year.....gives you a chance to get around the "Let me think about it or well maybe" Also you can stop by and visit during the off season and give the landowner a chance to get to know you.

Close to 50 years ago, an old seasoned Turkey Hunter told me "A good Turkey Hunter, hunts for that one good Tom, all year long"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.