Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are leasing a place next year that has some potential to put in some food plots we were going to put in some Jap-millet / rice/ corn have any of you ever planted any of this and any good idias to get it to grow with out spending 4000$ on fertilizer?

·
Banned
385 Posts
Rusty? Have ya'll considered or is it even possible to let it grow up in moist soil type vegetation.....smartweed, native grasses etc......

The reason I say this is because my best friend's family farms a sizable piece of land and his dad manages it closely for ducks.......his most productive duck holes are the ones that are in CRP that have natrual vegetation in them. I mean they are mega-hot spots.

I think the reason for it is this.......they have a multitude of land that are planted in agriculture.....true they will go to and use those grounds but there are things that thrive in moist soil enviroments that they seek out especially later in the season.....small invertabrates, grass seeds etc.

We have one place on our farm that is like this and it's the most consistant spot we have. If not over hunted you can lay dollars to dough-nuts on a limit of green every time you hunt it.:thumb:

plus it keeps ya in the "cheap":biggrin:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The best thing you can do is wait until about a month before season and start spreading corn, rice and beans in your duck hole. Do this on a weekly basis throughout the season.....boy will you be amazed at the ducks!!

PS DO THIS AT NIGHT!! :cool:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
The best thing you can do is wait until about a month before season and start spreading corn, rice and beans in your duck hole. Do this on a weekly basis throughout the season.....boy will you be amazed at the ducks!!

PS DO THIS AT NIGHT!! :cool:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
and don't forget to use BIG spot lights!!! :smack:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will try swamp pimp idiea first, we thought about that but I can not find any seed to get it started what little i have found was through the roof like 125$ for 12oz I think the land owner would go for that 2. I think we found a special place the land owner seems to want to make into a little better habitat rather than farming it.I am going to sugest that we brake some of the beaver dams there is a little floddedtimbeer/dead timber in order to hopefully get it to last a little longer. thanks for all the input I will get reasearching on the net,

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
You could always plant some pin oaks and willow oaks. Of course you'll have to wait 30+ years for your "food plot" to produce.
jdoyle's way is a little faster though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I think we found a special place the land owner seems to want to make into a little better habitat rather than farming it.I am going to sugest that we brake some of the beaver dams there is a little floddedtimbeer/dead timber in order to hopefully get it to last a little longer.
If the landowner (Farmer) is serious about wanting to make it into better habitat for waterfowl then I would check into the WRP program. If it has had a past history of farming it it is a wetland type area it will be a Level 1 project on their list for funding. It can be planted back in tree's, food plots can be developed, & water management structures can all be funded under this program & on top of that the landowner can recieve a yearly easement payment for having it enrolled in the program. You can kill 3 birds with one stone this way, get the property developed into what you may want, get the landowner some extra income off of the land & maybe in the process get your lease for alot less if you do the paper chasing for him on this.

I can tell you this, you can do all you want to improve a place but planting a field back in tree's & letting the natural grasses grow back up in it is the cheepest duck magnet one can do. Over here in the river bottom where they re-planted the land in tree's & let it grow back up, when flooded & when we have ducks, you cannot keep them run out of it! They love it! And as a bonus, so do them little critters with the "BIG" horns on their heads!:thumb:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to mention the wrp but that is permenant once enrolled you can not take it out. I think he will more likely go for something less permenant like cp-9 wich I am going to try to sell. do any of you know any body that has done theses projects so I could talk to them to see what the up front cost is.A bilogist is supposed to come out and take a look at it this week hopefully we will be able to put something together. thanks for the input:thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with relying on native vegetation. Smartweed seed, with its tough coating, last much longer than rice, millet, corn or beans. I doubt you will have to plant anything to get smartweed and other beneficial annuals to establish themselves. On my duck pond, I hold three feet of water at the dam during duck season and lower it 6 inches every two weeks beginning mid march. I get a heck of a stand of 5 different varieties of smartweed, and also some different sedges. If you have any bare spots come the first week of september, you can broadcast millet on those spots and usually get pretty good coverage. I prefer browntop (60 day maturation) over Jap millet (45 days maturation). If the area has ever been wet before, there will probably be smartweed if you gradually let the water out. You will have a fight with the beavers. Save yourself a lot of time and effort and trap them with some connibears.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Rusty call Jody Pagan at 5-Oaks Wildlife Services. Jody does projects like this all over the State for private landowners.

If you are wanting ask questions and bounce stuff off somebody.

If you are having a biologist come look at it I would make sure they are with the USDA, NRCS or something like that. The State biologists will not really be up to speed with all the Government Programs ins and outs.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I am going to mention the wrp but that is permenant once enrolled you can not take it out. I think he will more likely go for something less permenant like cp-9 wich I am going to try to sell. do any of you know any body that has done theses projects so I could talk to them to see what the up front cost is.A bilogist is supposed to come out and take a look at it this week hopefully we will be able to put something together. thanks for the input:thumb:
The CP9 carries alot of strings, maybe more than just a plain WRP contract for what you have to do & what you get out of it and as you say, it's not permant in contract, but in effect it is also as per what the land can be used for from that day forward. Once the land has been enrolled into the program it is deamed wetlands from that day forward. Once this has been done, it takes an act of Congress to get a permit to do anything at all with it. So in a matter of speaking, it is a permant deal with conditions but without the payment as WRP is permant with conditions but with a payment.

Either way, if it is or is not at this time wetlands, once you make it a wetlands, it is permant, so it is going to be forever, why not just go ahead & get a payment on it forever instead of just for a few years.

Before I got people to come out & take a look & get involved in doing anything I think you and/or the landowner need to find out how the land is listed with the FSA & NRCS offices at present. If it is not allready listed as wetlands, the landowner may not want to get it listed this way. If it does get re-listed this way he can never do anything with it again if he is now. If it is allready listed as wetlands then he can get into some issues with the goverment on Wetlands Violations if he has been farming it. Most likely this is not the case, but it is possible. I personally know of some people who went & tried to get enrolled in a program only to find out they were doing something they should not have been doing in the first place with the land by the way it was classified & got hammered. They ended up having to restore the land back to Goverment spec's & had to do it 100% out of pocket. It was a very expessive lesson to say the least & on top of that because it was listed under a violation it was not elligiable to be signed up in a program even after it was released.

Here is a little info on the CP9 if you didn't have any:

http://www.in.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/CRP/07 program sheets/IN CP9 Program Sheet vDec 1-0.doc

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Just remember native grasses (smartweed), traditional row crops (millet,beans,corn), and chufas will all hold and attract ducks, but if they are planted in a spot the ducks don't want they will be useless. I watched ducks all year fly over a 100 acre flooded field of millet that had a lot of seed left on it and never once got in it. 200 yards away in a break we hammerd them consistantly!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are already using all the fields. of course when we looked at the property and the midde of feburary there were ducks coverd from one end to the other. we just want to add to what is already there and hopefully make a good spot great:biggrin:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
They are already using all the fields. of course when we looked at the property and the midde of feburary there were ducks coverd from one end to the other. we just want to add to what is already there and hopefully make a good spot great:biggrin:
You should be fine then :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts